Constellation Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mykljpao, Oct 6, 2005.

1. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Pardon my ignorance here but....as much as I love the Constellation, it is one loud MF for a "30 watt" amp. Since it runs 4 el 84's, can I pull two to cut the power in half. And, if so, which tubes work in which pairing? I am using it occassionally with a Weber Mass attenuator but, like most, as you increase the attenuation, the tone begins to suffer. Thanks for any guidance.

Michael

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have one coming in on Tuesday. I don't mind volume, I can always tame it a bit the the Komet Airbrake and a Clearsonic panel in front. It is 33 watts BEFORE distortion so it is really a 50 watter, I'm guessing.

3. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

What cab/speakers are you using with it? I forget if you've already told me or not...

4. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Actually, I've used the Weber as a parallel load and, although it sounds much better than when used in-line, it is still really loud for smaller venues.

Too loud is when the sound man is bitching that you are being "uncooperative" in managing your "stage volume". My answer: turn the microphone down or don't mike it at all.

I'm using a Bob Burt cab that was custom made for someone else on the Gear Page that is a stunning cosmetic match with a Padauk valence to match the amp. Lower section is closed and ported and holds a Hellatone celestion H30. Upper section is semi open with a Red Fang. I can choose either spkr or both at 4 or 16 ohms. 99% of the time I am running both at 16 ohms just because they sound so damn good together. I know I could go with a Greenback type for reduced efficiency but they sound too mushy to me with the Constellation.

5. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

If you don't want to use an attenuator, (and I don't) here are three things to check out.

1. Run it at 16 ohms (less loud)
    2. Use less efficient speakers (noticeable difference)
    3. Use a lower gain tube for the phase inverter---this can have a dramatic volume difference, but it sounds and feels much better than an attenuator, IMO. Try a 12AT7, a 5751, a 12ay7, 12au7. Cheap and quick to try, plus it works very well.

6. hogy

hogy Member

Good tips already from everybody. You can NOT pull two tubes, the remaining two will go up in smoke.

I get useable volume even for small rooms by using an Airbrake in parallel (cuts power in half) and Greenbacks (25W Celestions). Those are much less efficient than the speakers you're currently using. Even better are old Celestion G12H20s, but hard to find. Maybe someone out there makes a clone?

Hogy

7. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

Don't forget a little plexi glass in front of your speakers as another option.

8. GAT

I love the Clearsonic shields, really blocks the sound to the soundman, yet sounds great on stage. I've seen Joe Bonamassa use them and he plays really loud, but it doesn't slam the audience. I even use mine in rehearsals. Last night I used a loud 35 watt Phoenix head, no attenuation and it blended perfectly with the band. Without the shield it was at least 6db more. Go to www.clearsonic.com

They make short ones for combos or tall ones for drums, I use both. I never get told to turn down now.

9. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Thanks for all of the advice. Hogy, thanks for offering the definitive answer to my original question...4 bottles it is! I most definitely don't want to see smoke coming from Connie's ears!!

GAT, as soon as I finish typing I'll be checking out the link you provided, gracias.

I still think the answer is for the soundguys to take off their skirts and just barely mic the damn thing. It cuts through the band so well that it really doesn't need much of a spread through the foh.
    (no offense intended to our female membership ;) ) They just don't like giving up control. I actually feel that I do a pretty good job of self management volume wise and rather resent that I'm not supposed to control my own decibel level. Generalization, but...y'all get the point.

10. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

just a (probably unnecessary) plug for clearsonic. they make a great product if it's what you need. plus, two friends work there in lil' ol' hudson; one is a drummer, the other a bassist in a band i occasionally play with. both are great guys and excellent musicians.

11. GAT

I've talked to the drummer, great guy. If I was a club owner I would buy a couple and then make the guitarists use them. I really doesn't sound much different on stage but makes a world of difference out front.