Consultant Advises Country Stations To Play Fewer Songs By Female Artists

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by bgmacaw, Jun 3, 2015.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Country Music Consultant Advises Stations To Play Fewer Songs By Female Artists

I think he's probably right to some degree although stating it publicly wasn't a good move. Marketing can reveal ugly truths sometimes about demographics. But it's also a good idea to let these sleeping dogs lie and not talk about them so as to not embarrass your intended customer base and yourself.

Suburban women are the big audience for modern country music and they want to see and listen to young, cute but a little dangerous "bad boys" like Florida-Georgia Line. They don't want to see or listen to some older guy who look like their husband or one of his beer drinking buddies. Nor do they want to hear from women who look better than they do and who've taken a different path in life.

2. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

3. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

I worked at a country radio station from 1997 to 2000. Our music director would not program more than two female artists back to back.

It could be Garth, Trisha, Shania
    or Garth, Clint, George,
    but never Trisha, Faith, Shania....

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I don't hear anyone disputing his research.

It's a cut throat world in entertainment, what ya gonna do?

5. sleewell

sleewell Member

i think he has it backwards.

modern country sucks and i hate it but given the choice i prefer the female artists to the bro country male artists by a mile.

at least they have good voices and every song isn't about a dirt road or sipping beers blah blah blah