Consummate AC30 Amp Tech??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by martins3325, Oct 23, 2005.

1. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

Well I just picked up s '63 Copper Panel AC30 Super Twin head ..I think it could probably use a good going over --vibrato channel seems to have much more gain than the other two--..wonder if anyone has recommendations on a guy who REALLY knows AC30s, will respect its vintage nature and change as LITTLE as possible, but will spend the time to really get it sounding its best. Im in DC area but i dont think there is anyone around here who fits the bill.
    Any recommendations?

2. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Don Butler
    Tone-Man.com

3. Bradders

Bradders Member

Victor Mason at PlexiPalace
    www.plexipalace.com

He's in Cali but a great guy for anythign from restorations to tune ups and more. Give hime a call - he was a ton of help when I bought a 62 AC-30 combo from him.

Bradz

4. martins3325

Thanks for the referrals..im also thinking Hogy's shop ..I own a constellation too and man its built well..reading Hogys post I get the notion that he really knows and respects vintage AC30s too.

5. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Where are you located? I wouldn't want to ship the thing all over the country. :confused:

6. martins3325

Well I just got off the phone with Hogy..he's DEFINITELY the man for the job! He was totally cool.. and shares my philosophy of not changing stuff unless it absolutely needs it, rather than the "hell its 40yrs old..change it!" attitude. I can tell he will play with it to make it sound its best. We talked for quite a while, even though im sure he is a busy guy, he wasnt pompous at all, and was very informative. ...totally reminded me of when I was a kid and would call Ken Fisher. No wonder he is Ken's heir apparent.

7. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Please excuse my ignorance but is Hogy a co-owner of Komet?

8. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Did you also call the other two recommendations? It almost sounds like your mind was made up before you asked the question....( although I'm quite sure Hogy will be able to help you).:confused:

9. martins3325

Yes he is the co-owner of Komet ..owning one and seeing how well built it is was a good sign..then reading through is posts..I could see he really digs old AC30s and was quite passionate about them. I didnt call plexi palace to be honest because I looked at some AC30 pics of amps that they worked on and saw just about every cap and resistor changed..maybe that was really necessary..but it kinda scared me..might as well buy a hayseed if I wanted every cap and resistor to be new. Plus thats quite a ways away to ship to. I hadnt really made the Hogy association until after I asked the question..then I was browsing the Komet site and I saw he does service amps other than Komet which I didnt initially know he did. I did not post my post as a plug for Komet amps or anything..they dont need it anyway..i have no ulterior motive..i was just genuinely impressed at how into old AC30s he is. Toneman woulda been my next call had I not found out Hogy services amps.

10. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Thanks.
    I have a 63/64 AC15 that I would like to get serviced but I live in Florida and Don Butler and The Plexi Palace are both on the other side of the country. I don't want to ship the chassis that far.

11. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

A buddy of mine at work actually builds AC30 clones, old style, I believe he owns a headtop identical to yours as well. I've been wanting him to build one for me, but I waited too long, and now he seems to only have time for service work.

If you would like I can ask him if he has time to work on your amp head, he just became a dad, so I can't speak for him regarding repairs and service...he lives in Gaithersburg. Can't hurt to ask, though.

Regards,

JM

12. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    This coming from a guy who bought a vintage piece from Louisana during Katrina.:D :D

Chuck

13. martins3325

Thanks John..im gunna go with Hogy..as I said I was happy to find he services amps and im very impressed with his knowledge and passion for AC30s. The Komets are great amps..incredible build quality..and the fact Ken chose him to build his amps speaks VOLUMES to me. Because Ken is the amp GOD, probably Ken and Dumble are the only guys there are entire forums dedicated to trying to figure out their amps mojo. Seems an amp is not always just the sum of its parts..at least in trainwrecks case anyway.

JPurcell: Yeah I doubt you could go wrong ..he spoke GLOWINGLY about the EF86 Vox amps..yours would probably give him a woody..lol What does a nice clean AC15 go for if you find one?
    On another note..did you see what the Maestro GA78RVT went for on ebay...similar to the one I had bought from you.. $1500 to $4500 in the last 10 secs. Wow! Though it was in like museum condition..and supposedly 1 of 3 made.

14. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

$4500. Wow, I gotta start selling on ebay!

15. martins3325

Yeah it really probably was like the cleanest 78 or 79 on the planet though..its just funny that I was like torturing myself if I should go $1750 or not...lol But i just didnt think it was really in the same league tonewise with the 57 deluxe i never shoulda sold.

16. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Martins,

Love to see the result when he's done working on your amp.

I was just looking over am old brochure Ken Fisher sent me, and probably everyone else in the '90s, who was on his list...he sent this funny comic and he wrote, "if they don't find a cure for me, you'll probably never get your amp" or something to that effect.

Good Luck with your Vox Head...I may have to just break down and join the ValveTech ranks, if I can't get my buddy to build one for me, we'll see.

J

17. martins3325

Thanks, well it'll be more a hear it thing..since he wont really be doing any cosmetics to it..but i'll try to post a clip when it all comes together. Im sure your friend would have done an excellent job...but its kinda like if a guy builds you an awesome car..you trust him to work on your other car type thing. Bummer you never got your wreck.. I never did know exactly what Kens ailment is really...apparently its persistent though..shame. I almost considered selling both my amps to get one of the immenent Hogy/Ken KF50. But Im too much a gear slut to probably ever settle down with one amp forever anyway..lol Would loved to of heard Kens rendition of an AC30 ..forget the model name.

18. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Martin,
    You know who to come to if you decide to sell one of those amps(and you know which one I am talking about). Thanks again for all the info you shared with me today.

Thanks,

Chuck

19. martins3325

No problem Chuck, and yeah you have 1st dibbs on the amp..should I decide to try something else.

20. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Is his first name Matt? If so, he built my AC30 and I love it. I need to catch up with him.