Contact Cleaner Question

iggs

Hey techie friends ... my BOSS pedal developed a scratchy input jack, pretty sure it's just dirt or oxidization cuz I already cleaned it a bit and it helped but not enough.

I sprayed a 1/4 jack with contact cleaner and inserted it in/out a few times, that helped a bit.
Then I sprayed a Q-tip and cleaned the jacks a bit more ... better but still not 100%

Question: since the contact cleaner is conductive, is it OK to spray directly into the jack to (hopefully) clean it even better? Will leaving it to evaporate for a while before turning it back on get rid of all the cleaner residue and prevent anything from shorting out?

Thanks!

Bruce Gerard

I would advise you to not spray cleaner into the jack. I'm not sure which cleaner you are using, but if it is indeed conductive, it will probably cause problems. The contacts in most jacks are either nickel plated brass, silver plate brass, or in rare cases - gold plated brass. Most jacks have contacts that switch circuits on and off when they have a plug inserted. You don't want to muck up the contacts in there.

Are you sure the problem isn't a worn tip in the cable plug?

I have cleaned lots of jacks with silver dip - a mild acid solution - but that requires removing the jack from the circuit board and dropping it into the solution.

Replacement is often the best fix for a worn or wonky jack.

There is also a possibility that there are cracked solders on the connection points of the jack

iggs

Thanks ... I've tried with different cables and problem is the same. I'm assuming it's just dirty since cleaning it helps noticeably, just can't seem to clean it 100%
It could be something else too in addition to dirt.

swiveltung

I usually spray a Q tip and run it in and out until it no longer comes back with black on it. rotate it to clean the sleeve also. If that doesn't do it you likely have a bad jack. Also be aware that some import cables have a smaller size sleeve portion (metric) and can be problematic at times.

DaveKS

As general rule contact cleaners like that have light lube but their not really conductive. Deoxit gold is only one I know that's actually a conductive liquid.

But no, don't spray that in jack.

Me I clean with Deoxit D100 then coat contacts with deoxit gold using a qtip or dental proxy brush, gold is good stuff.

tlpruitt

I use a .33 caliber gun cleaning wire brush to gently clean the sleeve and tip contact of 1/4" jacks. Got mine at Walmart a few years ago. Works like a charm.
.22 caliber brush works well too especially for reaching the tip contact of some jacks.

TimmyP

Put a plug in and spin the plug.

For really stubborn jacks: Rough the finish of a plug up with a wire brush or sandpaper. Put 1.5" of heavy guitar cable on the plug. Put the cable into a drill, spray on some contact cleaner (CRC QD Electronic Cleaner), put the plug in and hit the drill at fairly slow speed. (The cable is so you cannot over-stress the jack - especially a PCB mounted jack.)

gldtp99

This QD (Quick Dry) Electronic cleaner can be sprayed directly into the jack of your pedal---- it leaves no residue and won't hurt anything----- dries up completely in a few minutes (at most)---- if you're using it with a q-tip you'll need to work pretty fast as it dries quickly (hence the name).
Many places carry it: Auto parts stores, Hardware stores, etc besides Wal Mart.
If this spray and a q-tip won't clean the jack (the can blasts pretty well--- watch your eyes/wear eye protection)--- then the jack would most likely need replacing.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Elec...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

dazco

Contact cleaner is not conductive, it allows the parts you spray to become more conductive by cleaning them. I use deoxit and you can soak a circuit board till many parts are swimming in a pool of the stuff and the amp will play and sound normal like that. I can't imagine any CC that would be conductive, and you couldn't even use the stuff w/o worry of all sorts of noise and damage issues unless you open the amp to use it than dry it all out thoroughly. And how would it clean posts when it would close the circuit between the lugs by creating a liquid bridge between all conductors? Maybe gold deoxit is like someone said but it;s specialized.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
Contact cleaner is not conductive, it allows the parts you spray to become more conductive by cleaning them. I use deoxit and you can soak a circuit board till many parts are swimming in a pool of the stuff and the amp will play and sound normal like that. I can't imagine any CC that would be conductive, and you couldn't even use the stuff w/o worry of all sorts of noise and damage issues unless you open the amp to use it than dry it all out thoroughly. And how would it clean posts when it would close the circuit between the lugs by creating a liquid bridge between all conductors? Maybe gold deoxit is like someone said but it;s specialized.
Some related products are designed to conduct, such as Mapleshade Silclear:
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/SILCLEAR-Silver-Contact-Enhancer/productinfo/SILCLEAR/

I've never used it. But I would strongly caution anyone who does to use exceptional care to control exactly where it is applied.

dazco

Yeah, but it's a paste which is a lot different than a spray because it can be applied precisely. Deoxit which shoots out like a friggin fire hose no matter how light you try and apply it If conductive would kill more people per year that use it on high voltage applications than guns.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
I use the brush-applied liquid D100 Deoxit - easily controlled.

Trending Topics