Contact Cleaner

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by kdixon1029, Feb 2, 2006.

1. kdixon1029

kdixon1029 Member

I'm recovering a tremoverb combo and thought that while I have the chasis out I would clean it up a bit with some contact cleaner. (Tube sockets) I'm curious if I need a special type of cleaner. I picked up a can from Lowe's and it says it is for electrical components, transistors, contacts etc. Is this safe to use and where exactlly do I spray, into the tube sockets? Also I used compressed air to blow out the inside of the chasis as it had lots of dust and debris, can I also spray this area down as well?

thanks

2. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Use the D5 Spray on a pipe cleaner and rotate it at slow speed.
    This cleans them up nicely. Same with the jacks.

Make sure your caps are discharged before sticking anything
    in the tube sockets.

Squirt some D5 in your pots and rotate 10x.
    Finish with a squirt of MCL and rotate 10x again.

On the tubes pins I use diluted ProGoldGxL.

Good luck, be safe, enjoy.

3. K-man

K-man Member

The contact cleaner is OK for cleaning the jacks, but I wouldn't use it on the tube sockets. They generate too much heat and most contact cleaners aren't rated for those conditions. It could cause problems.

The ProGold by Craig is the way to go for tube sockets. Simply apply it to the pins of the tubes before you stick them in.

I don't know about spraying the entire chassis, could make a mess. Should be fine with the compressed air.

4. kdixon1029

kdixon1029 Member

Kman

thanks! I'm having trouble with this thing though. I finished the recover this weekend and it looks great, new grille too! I also instlaled a new v30 along with a reconed v30. Once it was all back together it sounded horrible. I was expecting some speaker breakin time but it was sputtering and almost sounded like it was laughing at me for working so hard on the project! I checked the wiring and it looked right. (white to + Black to - ) I don't know what the problem could be. I may have to send the chasis to Mesa and prolong my finished product!

5. K-man

K-man Member

Did you wire the speakers correctly as far as being in series or parallel so they are providing the correct load? Did you change anything else as far as the electronics go?

6. kdixon1029

kdixon1029 Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure the speakers are wired correctly. I used the original wire and just replaced the old speaker with a new one. The white and black from the jack go to speaker one white+ Black- then I have a jumper from speaker one to speaker two white+ black-. I belive this is the exact same as when it was wired with the original speakers. I've had the chasis out for a few weeks and the tubes have been out in a basket in the garage for a few weeks as well. I may get a new 12ax7 and rotate it through to see if one of the preamp tubes is bad. All pwr tubes and Rec tubes are new.

7. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

You can check speaker phase and polarity with a 9v battery . Place positive of battery on tip of jack and momentarily touch minus to sleeve. Both speakers should push outwards. If both pull in, swapblack and white from jack. If one pushes out and one pulls in, swap the leads on the one that pulls in. Ya probably did it right any way but the battery test is quick and easy.Don't hold the battery to the jack for any extended length of time , dc isn't good for speakers but it's ok for the test.....I try to use an almost dead battery.
    Dave C