Contact info for Klon Centaur maker?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sideman, Jun 20, 2006.

1. sideman

sideman Member

My 8 year-old Klon Centaur has developed a high pitched shriek and needs to be returned to Bill What's-his-name for repair. I can't find his contact information on the web. Does anyone know his email address, website, or phone number? Thanks.

2. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

wwfinnegan@verizon.net thats his E-mail, but after I emailed hima few times regarding my klon order he told me to call him because Id get a lot more done like that since hes "swamped" with emails (his word(s)) so try givving him a call instead at: 617-666-1551

4. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Have you tried changing the battery? The Klon will shriek if the battery gets too low.

5. gearlovin

gearlovin Supporting Member

+1 on this i've experience the same problem :crazy

6. Craise

Craise Member

lol...I don't know what it is but I haven't been able to load his website for years! I've tried to turn off my pop up blocker in firefox but still get the error page that tells you to turn off your pop up blocker.
    Anyone else have this problem?

7. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Actually, Bill warns in the little bit of literature that accompanies the Centaur that units in need of battery replacement can start to emit weird, high-pitched sounds. He recommends a fresh Duracell. If that doesn't fix it, then I'd call him.

Best,

Doc :)

8. duende

duende Member

Yep... sounds like a battery issue. Otherwise.. did you possibly plug in incorrect voltage supply? The reason I ask, is because I did, and after sometime it became apparent that I had broken my Klon.

Regards,

9. jtw

jtw Member

I've run my Klon on a Pedal Power (original) for years. Only once I started running it with a battery only did it develop the wierd shrieking sound. Replaced the battery, no more shreiking. I have read only recently about Bill stressing use of his own custom power supply, or risk damaging the pedal.

Duende, how were you able to determine that you had broken your Klon? Only reason I ask, I've ran mine on the PP for years, and with exception to the battery-shreik thing when running it stand-alone, haven't noticed a difference.

10. duende

duende Member

Bill walked me through checking the circuit board. There's a little resistor that goes if you plug in the improper voltage. Mine was "smelly"... and sure enough the Klon started to go. Just got worse and worse over time. Turns out I accidently plugged it into the 18v outlet on my juicebox. Real bummer!

11. sideman

sideman Member

Jeez, I guess checking the battery is good advice! Will do that first. Thanks fellas.

12. Coach

Coach Senior Member

The Klon website doesn't work for me. I disabled my pop-up blocker and still it doesn't work.

So could someone answer:
    What's the wait list on the Klon?
    How Much are they new?

Thanks

13. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I bought one early this year, ordered it in December. At that time the wait was 12 weeks and it was $344 shipped.
    For me it was a cuiosity thing, I have heard SO much about the Klon over the years I had to try one. It is probably the best pedal I have ever owned, BUT you have to use it properly with a good amp that is starting to foam at the mouth.

14. Coach

Coach Senior Member

Thanks for your reply.

I take that by "foaming at the mouth" you're not talking about a Twin Reverb :(

Maybe I'll wait until I get an el-84 amp to run in stereo before I hunt down a klon.

15. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

:AOK ;)

16. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Is the Klon a good match for blackface type amps starting to break up also? I am thinking about getting one for my Fargen Blackbird.

17. Dana

Dana Guest

It should be. When I called Bill to order a Klon he asked what amp I was using. I told him a Fender Deluxe Reverb and he said 'Perfect'. Like a previous poster said, the Klon is designed to work best with a low wattage amp on the verge of breakup.

18. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I am not a blackface knda guy so I am the wrong person to ask.

However, I would not limit the Klon to "low wattage amps" I think it will work fine with any good tube amp that is at a sufficient volume.
    I KNOW it works great with a Top Hat CR, Germino Club 40 and Masonette.

19. DocRock

I'm using what's basically a JTM-45 Plexi (about 50 watts, non-master) and it just sings at band/stage volume. Not so good at home, but fantastic when I can push my amp a bit. The amp itself doesn't need to be in full-on distortion mode, but it does need to be at least pushed hard enought to become "sparkly"--for lack of a better term. As long as you're getting some kind of goodness from your tubes, it should be fine...more than fine, actually!!! I bet it would kill with your Fargen.

20. DocRock

Also, I stack it with a Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso clean boost for even more amp break-up + Klon joyfulness....