• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Contemplating going with a multi-effects unit + pedals, what do you think.

TheGrooveking

I find that of course for some tunes I need chorus, some need flange, some need phase, you guys know the drill. But what this adds up to is a pedalboard that looks like the airbrake for a B-29 Bomber. As I get older I am becoming very sensitive to lugging around a boat load of gear.

I know some of you guys have migrated to using a multi-effects unit along with pedals. I have an extra BOSS GT-3, which by the way is a very flexible piece, but the overdrive and distortions are lifeless and sound like a can opener eating it's young. So I am thinking of the following:

Fulltone CLYDE wah pedal.
VHT Valvulator I, for buffer/power supply for pedals and adding some tube goodness to the signal.
Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe
Fulltone 69
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer w/Analogman Silver mod
MI Audio Crunchbox
BOSS GT3

I will feed this into the following:

DrZ Carmen Ghia head
Colorado Music Guy EVM12L loaded Thiele cab(Mesa copy)
Groove Tubes Soul-O 45 combo amp w/Alnico Gold

Your opinions?

TheGrooveking

Moe45673

I think a yamaha magicstomp may suit your needs better, or a Boss ME-20/50. The GT-3 is definite overkill.

If I were you, I'd rule out anything with amp modelling.

*edit* lots of people say they were extremely dissatisfied with all the GTs until they tried GT-8. Maybe you can look into one of those and use that with all the ODs and shizz

TheGrooveking

I agree I wan't looking t ouse amp modeling, just the delay/modulation and special features, like envelope filter/eq/compressor settings. Also the built in expression pedal and using a second external one give you a lot of control.

TheGrooveking

nedsteve

I find that of course for some tunes I need chorus, some need flange, some need phase, you guys know the drill. But what this adds up to is a pedalboard that looks like the airbrake for a B-29 Bomber. As I get older I am becoming very sensitive to lugging around a boat load of gear.

I know some of you guys have migrated to using a multi-effects unit along with pedals. I have an extra BOSS GT-3, which by the way is a very flexible piece, but the overdrive and distortions are lifeless and sound like a can opener eating it's young. So I am thinking of the following:

VHT Valvulator I, for buffer/power supply for pedals and adding some tube goodness to the signal.
Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe
Fulltone 69
Fulltone OCD
MI Audio Crunchbox
BOSS GT3

DrZ Carmen Ghia head

Your opinions?

TheGrooveking
I have been doing this with a Korg AX3000G and it is working for me. I have all my dirt feeding the front and the Korg in the amp loop. At one time I had the Korg out front using only the clean channel but now sometimes I use amp overdrive so the Korg was put in the loop.

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
Look into a Zoom G2 for $99.
It has instant patch changes and is small enough to integrate onto your pedalboard. Great modulations, verbs & delays, and you can disable the amp/drive sims.
Has a better tracking pitch shifter than a PS5.
Just make sure you use it's own p/s or else you'll get a barely perceptable whine.

nsriley

I recently went to a multi-efx like unit and a couple pedals with it, with three amps hooked up to it all. It's a much more compact setup, one click of a button and everything I want it on all at the same time including amps. Problem is, it's pricey! But it works like a dream for what I like to do.

TC electronics G-system
Lehle Dual w/ Midi
Digitech Expression factory for wah and some other effects if I want them.
In the Loops of the G-sys I have:
MXR EVH Phase 90
Throbak StoneBender
Reverend DT II
OCD v1

That all being routed to:
Fender Blues Jr. tweed
AmpTramp BF/Plexi
Soldano Astroverb

So for instance when I step on my 'clean' sound preset, it switches my signal to the Blues jr. and AmpTramp clean sound, with some compression, chorus and reverb. When I step on my 'dirty' sound preset, it kicks on all three amps, the OCD in a loop to the two clean amps, with some 'verb and the Soldano running dry with the gain cranked.

valen

Get a true bypass looper for whatever multi FX you end up with. Most of the ones I tried are real tone suckers. You won't want it in your circuit all of the time. If you have in the FX loop of your amp, then hopefully it is a switchable FX loop.

estringwalker

I switched to a Gt 8 and put away the pedalboard about a month ago. I dont use any preamp sims...I just use it for effects.I do still use 2 dist/overdrive pedals with it because I was not too impressed with the ones on the Gt 8..
The coolest thing to me about the Gt8 was the effects loop and the ability to put it anywhere in the chain that you wanted to. This let me run effects before my amp ( wah, comp , phaser ) and then run my reverbs and delays into the effects loop of my amp. Yea, some of the effects arent perfect but for $300 used, its does what I want without having 15 pedals to tap around.
Another cool thing is alot of the effects have a wet mix and dry mix. So I can only add a hint of chorus or octave sound if I want.

aksman

Get a true bypass looper for whatever multi FX you end up with. Most of the ones I tried are real tone suckers. You won't want it in your circuit all of the time. If you have in the FX loop of your amp, then hopefully it is a switchable FX loop.

+1 ive been doing that with my podlive for a while now. (I just made the smallest true bypass loop ever, btw)

TubeBy12

There is no longer any tone suckage in my MM4 now that it has been modded by Keeley - awesome multi-fx for the $300 I have in it.

soulfrax88

hi man im a newbie guitar player can u help me out why dont we share some patchs effects (i dont know if thats the right term), im not so good setting up my AX3000G so since u have one too id really appreciate if u could help me pliz

Waxhead

Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe
Fulltone 69
Fulltone OCD
MI Audio Crunchbox
BOSS GT3

DrZ Carmen Ghia head

Your opinions?

TheGrooveking
yeah go to a $500 MFX if you want a cheap alternative. I have both a pedal board and a GT-8 and use the GT as a backup effects unit. I Run em both into tube amps. Just be aware that if you swap those analog pedals you named for any of the cheap MFX's that

1) It'll be a big downgrade in effect quality. GT-8 & GT-10 effects are identical to the Boss analog pedals. So... ranging from pretty crap to just ok. The wah & reverb on them are real bad. The POD's are even worse though on effect quality, somne real crap there - a useless compressor etc. Those analog pedals you named totally crap on all of them for quality.

2) You can't put time based effects after the preamp on any of the cheap MFX's unless you use the 4 cable method. And only the GT's, POD X3 & M13 will even allow 4cm. The 4cm is more trouble than it's worth for most players due to prob's with setting correct levels and loop issues. Forget it unless you have a Series Loop and even then it'll require tons of tweaking to get right for each amp you use. I just gave up on it and run thru the front.

3) If your analog board is 10 pedals or under it's equally portable as the cheap MFX's and a lot more convenient.

4) Why more convenient ....well...The MFX's are a tweakers dream and a plug n players nightmare. You have all those presets & controls but you'll be tweaking for 100's of hours trying to get your patches giggable and never quite getting there. Analog pedals are much simpler and easier to use and therefor much much more convenient IMO.

5) THe $500 MFX's are a lot cheaper and for that you get 40 effect types at greatly reduced quality and a lot of headaches compared to top of the line analog pedals.

Your choice obviously but my Gt-8 is the backup effects unit for good reason. The POD X3 has too many bugs to even consider and the Digitech. Tonelab and Zoom effects aren't even as good as the Boss one's. The M13 is worth a look if you like Line 6 effects - I don't.

Consider TC Electronics and Axe-Fx is you want great effect quality but then you pay to play - as always.

froglord

... overdrive and distortions are lifeless and sound like a can opener eating it's young.
Brilliant expression!

How about a Damage Control Glass Nexus?

Or a TC Nova Modulator for all the modulation, plus a small delay and reverb pedal - these would probably take up no more space than the average multi-fx.

scottkahn

Just add a pedal looper and use your pedals! This will give you single-pedal access to different combinations of your favorite pedals.

If you don't want to add any rack gear, then there are loop switchers from Carl Martin and Voodoo Labs that go right on your pedal board. Your pedals plug into the ins and outs on the switchers, and then you just hit a few buttons to save various combinations, so when you step on button #1 on the switcher, it activates your flanger and delay, button #2 is your distortion and chorus, etc.

Scott

wesc

I personally would just get a Nova Delay and a Nova Mod. They take up very little room and have everything you need.

Trending Topics