Contemplating selling my '66 BFSR...talk me out of it...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SouthernShred, Jun 11, 2008.

1. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

The rooms I'm playing are completely overpowered by 4 speakers pushing...I'm playing in a downtown city environment where I have to park a LONG way from the club as the streets are blocked off to cars after a certain hour on the nights I gig. I love the sound of the Super, but it doesn't do me a lot of good at home and I've been able to get my sound with a 15-20 watt 1x12 combo and pedals without breaking my back carrying it several city blocks.

It's not original...reproduction cab, mix-and-match speaker config (2) CTS Alnico's and (2) Weber CTS Ceramics...reproduction JD Newell cabinet and with the help of Todd Shock, it sounds and runs great...I later changed a few things with some guidance from Tyler Grund and put it to Cesar Diaz "SRV" specs. It's a player's amp...that is gathering dust...

Anyway, I know I sound like I've made up my mind, but I'm trying to figure out how much I would regret selling it.

2. 5E3

5E3 Member

That sounds like an amp you would regret selling right about the time the new owner drives away with it :)

Have you considered having a head cab built for it? Don't molest the existing cab, but get a "new" cab, lowering it to a manageable size/weight, maybe with a 1x12 or 2x10 or 2x12 cab (whatever you need for your gig).

3. SouthernShred

2 ohm output transformer...kinda limits your speaker choices...I have thought about it though.

You're right though. I'm already regretting it after reading through my post. I put in a lot of late nights working on the thing

4. 5E3

5E3 Member

Wow ... 2 ohm. I suppose you could wire two 4 ohm speakers in parallel. That would mean something like a 2x10 or 2x12.

5. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat. I've got a great sounding '66 Super Reverb and can't play it. It's a little more original than yours, but it's still a player's amp. It should be in a player's hands being played. I know how you feel.

6. kgp1

kgp1 Member

I am looking for a SR; let me know.

7. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

or just disconnect two speakers. Fenders tolerate 100% mismatches pretty well.

8. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Got a BFSR in real good shape that I bought a long time ago. A main gig amp from 71 til about 94. I have made a lot of gigs with that thing but only a handful since the mid 90s. I have a road case so I don't worry too much about damaging it but that sucker is bulky, heavy and loud when it is singing. Too big and loud for 99% of the gigs I do. In big rooms where I might be able to cut it loose, I get more satisfaction from a more manageable rig. Even so, the Super reverb is my favorite Fender amp sound under conditions where it can be turned up enough to work.

Since I seldom use it with less and less prospect for using it, I have briefly considered selling it. I have had sound companies wanting to rent it too (yes it can sound good). Unfortunately due to history with the amp, it is one of two or three pieces of music equipment with some sentimental attachment. I believe I will seriously regret selling it. OTOH, in the last couple of years I let go of a couple of very nice old Fender amps that I had acquired in the last ten years. They were good examples and sounded fine but were not a sound that I liked. And no real attachment to em. Sold em, don't miss em at all. No regrets.

So many great amps are being made today that almost nothing is irreplaceable from a sound standpoint. Short of some kind of special attachment to that amp, you could probably safely let it go knowing you can get something close to that sound somewhere. Might have to pony up more money though.

If my I hadn't had my SR around for about 40 years, I think it'd be gone now. As it is, it is staying.

hunter

9. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I use a BF SR at all my moderately Sauced gigs here in Nashville...it's the closest I can get to covering all areas of blues,rock, etc etc...without hauling out at least a 2-12 and a JMP Marshall.

The first three clips on my myspace page are all a Super Reverb...
    REd Light Mind is a Super with a Menatone King of the Britains LES PAUL....
    Get ya Head Right is Super and HBE Power Screamer set on Fuzz
    and Apocalypse is Super with the KOTB and a SUHR strat

10. m@2

m@2 Member

i was thinking the same... true, the perfect ohm match thing is limiting, but personally I have many times run up to 100% mismatch with vintage fenders with no issues. Of course procede with caution, but if the amp is that dialed in (and it sounds like the TONE is right, just not the size and volume) it might be worthwhile to keep it. In the end, you will need to do what works best for you though. Also might want to consider what $$ value the amp will bring. Is it really worth it to sell vs. what that $$$ will bring you?

11. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Get a 2X10 cabinet made and a pair of Weber 30 watt, watt, 4 ohm alnico Blue Pups.Try www.mathercab.com great work at great prices. I had this 1X15 cab made for my Deluxe Reverb.[​IMG]

12. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Weber sells a device called the Impedance Matcher that allows you to match the output impedance of your amp to the impedance of your speaker cab. It works with output transformers and cabs with impedances of 2, 2.6, 4, 5.3, 8, and 16 ohms.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/zmatch.htm

FVB

13. nsriley

nsriley Member

Damn bro you thinking of selling that!? Well I can understand the whole over powered thing, but I will tell you there are a handful of over powered amps I've sold and wished I still had.

14. SouthernShred

I know, I know...but I bought it in a moment of weakness when I was looking at heads & 1x12 cabs and 1x12 combos saying to myself "I'm not buying any more heavy, bulky amps" after the last 4x10 I had and what did I buy, a 4x10...

15. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I'm keeping my '69 drip rail w/ original CTS's
    It is heavy. It is loud. It is sweet and I'd really regret selling it if i did.
    I regretted selling one back in the 80's and I'm not going to let this one get away.

16. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

I have 4 that i rarely use for gigs and would have to be down to my last peanut butter and nanner sandwich before i part with one.The 64-66 are stock as is the 74 but i admit to vibrocloning the last one i found cheap:AOK-1X15" and the 64

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. SouthernShred

I can't really think of anything I like better, so I'm just going to go buy a nice handcart I can haul all my stuff on safely...screw it. Loud amps are half the reason I started playing anyway...

18. Crikey

Crikey Member

:AOK

Crikey

19. SouthernShred

ah...well, I ended up playing the 18 watter all night again. We'll see...Never say never and all. Anyway, thanks for being a sounding board

20. jcs

jcs Member

i was gonna say,why are you carrying a super reverb?

i have all my amps on casters or set up to move with different hand carts,i dont carry ANY amps these days (hernia problem).

i much prefer the tallest wheels i can find on carts too,much easier to manuever on rough surfaces.