contemporary Christian music.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ericjohnschwab, Dec 29, 2010.

1. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

^Your assessment is entirely spot-on, and I'm sure it's intended to be that way. IMO it's typically not about musicianship or even really outstanding songcraft, ask any of the artists and they'll say it's mainly about something else (and I'll leave it there).

2. jamesrsmith

jamesrsmith Supporting Member

to richusrkr and cujel, you could apply your negative comments to just about any musical genre there is right now, and to differentiate between "what is on the radio" and what real music is (usually live, in my opinion) would help. there are cliches and drama in about any music you find today. what people like is odd and a bit spontaneous,, take a look at the cowboy crooner types who have pleased audiences on, say, americas got talent, the last couple of years,,a skinny guy with a guitar playing a dylan song made famous by garth brooks (if you could feel my love) and then another cowboy guy this year doing the same type song. the powers that be tell you what they think is good and that is what you get to see/hear. my son said it like this "after 9-11 country music went downhill and completely sucks", and he is not a lover of country music. neither am i. nor am i a fan of formulaic christian music.

3. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

5. Fab4ever

Fab4ever Member

6. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I disagree... while it is about something else, there is a level of excellence that most of these guys want to bring out. I've sat in songwriting workshops with a bunch of different guys, just recently the Vertical Church guy's and across the board a lot of thought and prayer goes into songwriting. I have also sat and chatted with Lincoln Brewster, Gungor, Rend Collective, Bart from Mercy Me and other guy's.. Third Day and all of them are monster musicians and bring their, A game when they play/perform or record.

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Aww shucks.

8. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

9. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

^Those are some great musicians and songwriters right there.

10. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Supporting Member

11. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I'm enjoying Rhett Walker Band, fun stuff to play in Church.

Also Matt Maher

12. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I've been doing this song a lot.

13. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Supporting Member

very modern pop country- influenced (not digital age but the prior videos particularly Rhett Walker), to each his own I guess.

I guess I'm a dinosaur around here.... reminiscing over classic christian rock. I know in reality, it is mostly a dead genre along with christian metal and alt rock.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  14. stellablue

stellablue Member

You should fit right in.

15. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I love classic rock!!! After the last so many years of dotted 8th U2 sounding bands, the newer Southern Rock sounding bands is a very welcomed change IMHO.

16. Allen in San Jose

Allen in San Jose Member

My favorite CCM artist is Lincoln Brewster. :D

17. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

You misspelled Greg X. Volz :)

18. Phoenix59

Phoenix59 Member

I played in both the CCM and P&W genres for about 20 years. Many of the artists mentioned in this thread were people I enjoyed. My favorites included Steve Taylor (Meltdown At Madame Tussaud's, On The Fritz, many others -- great social commentary) , Keith Green (pretty much the whole catalog but I was always especially partial to Asleep In The Light), and Larry Norman (I did a decent cover of I Wish We'd All Been Ready for many years).

I don't really listen any more for reasons that I am prohibited from discussing here but the music is still great.

19. DivineTones

DivineTones Member

Have no idea what you're referencing, but I do know that a lot P&W playing would benefit from a boost in personal discipline, and a desire to pursue growth in musical knowledge and technique. Soli Deo Gloria, and all that....

Btw, I wanted to add that I really do like the edge and passion that Jesus Culture brings to a lot of the recent P&W standards, but I don't think it's out of line to say that our guitarists should be reaching for something higher in their playing. Excellence above just competence.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  20. DivineTones

DivineTones Member

Just as a FYI, I had heard their stuff on the radio, never really liked it or had much interest in them. Then I saw them open for bldg 429 last year, and they just totally southern swamp-rocked it. It was like they were a completely different band; killer guitar playing. I do believe that Christian radio parameters and formatting have a lot to do with some of the negative perceptions.