contemporary Christian music.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ericjohnschwab, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I agree, I saw them at the Rockin' Worship Roadshow and they tore it up. So did Mercy Me and Kutless. A lot of cool guitar playing going on.

2. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

3. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Supporting Member

funny, opposite about December Radio. Their album ROCKS!!! and so I bought a live video and live they sort of sound countryfied at times... didn't care for it...

Now I like when 3rd Day's slight forays into countryfication, I guess cause of Powell's unique voice.

Pidgin English likes this.
  4. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Back in the day (70's and 80's) that was true, too. To get past the radio gatekeepers and their conservative supporters the singles were really tame compared to the live shows, in many cases.
    Or even compared to the rest of the albums. You'd have pretty rocking stuff and then an obvious slick ballad for the radio.

Glad to know some of this stuff has still got some fans. There was/is a lot of good music in this genre, some of it blatantly derivative, but still well done.

5. korby

korby Member

I helped Keith Green move his ministry to Texas and stayed a few months . Upside hanging out with 60's rock and folk stars , downside living with Keith Green .

Steve Hotra and wire-n-wood like this.
  6. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

How so?

7. korby

korby Member

In such a way shortly before the plane crash he sent a letter to everyone who ever worked for for him and apologized .

Steve Hotra likes this.
  8. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

David Crowder's Band "A Collision" was the first time I realized that Christian music could be "smart". The first section is fairly poppy, but it get really diverse and musically inspiring after that.

Fishyfishfish likes this.
  9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yes, but unfortunately, most of it is inane pap, which really is too bad.

But, I guess it is like every other genre of music out there. Lots of drek with little really good work.

10. loudboy

loudboy Member

It's written to a specific target audience - if it's too complex musically or challenging lyrically, the congregation won't be able to sing along with it after hearing the chorus once, or understand the meaning immediately.

I'm sure that there are some artists doing spiritual music that falls outside those parameters, but you're probably not going to hear it on Sunday. A lot of Julie Miler's stuff deals with her spiritual beliefs, but it's also very subtle and thought-provoking.

Steve Hotra likes this.
  11. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

I would disagree about this album. Probably 5 of the 23 tracks are song along friendly.

12. sanrico

sanrico Member

There was a time in my life where I listened to CCM almost exclusively. Most of the bands I liked at the time don't even exist nowadays. I'm amazed at how little longevity these bands have. It's like their fans throw them away the second they aren't the hot new thing anymore.

Lt Dak and 2leod like this.
  13. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

That wasn't the problem, speaking as someone who's been a fan of CCM for a long time. Record labels dropped bands like hot potatoes when they stopped selling well, and they stopped working hard to sell them well to make that happen.

It was a small genre to begin with and so many of those bands were literally doing it part-time, even the charting ones. Many of those guys never left their day jobs, and now they have no real retirement. It's kinda sad. It's not that their fans threw them away (although that happens) as much as they didn't have a sustainable business. At one point I found out from an industry insider that the number of artists in CCM making a profit on their recordings, for instance, was fewer than a dozen. Maybe less than 10. (This was back when making a record was expensive, though.)

That said, there are quite a few still active touring around like Randy Stonehill and the 77s (one of my faves to see live).

Steve Hotra likes this.
  14. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I try to support some of my favorite artists ( Phil K, R Stonehill, whenever possible) Some of the Christian labels didn't honor them> a few are fighting to get back their rights to sell their own songs on their own terms, to make a living.

15. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Also, some of my very favorites now are independent, and it seems to be working well for them, at least from this fan's perspective. Burlap to Cashmere have made a couple FANTASTIC records recently. The 77s reissues (and new album coming!) lately are amazing (GREAT sounding vinyl, too), and I am super stoked for the new Jennifer Knapp CD heading my way. All on pledge music and such.

Steve Hotra likes this.
  16. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

I like some of it. I went to a 3Rd Day concert and thought it was on par with some of the bigger pop/country acts and it actually was a great time.

17. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

A Collision was a good album, even though I'm not a fan of DC's voice so much.
    There was a band years ago called Earthsuit and they were quite progressive at the time, mixing rock, rap, techno, etc...into a unique brand of CCM, but they fizzed out after 2 albums.
    Thankfully, the most creative core of that band became MuteMath and they are one of my favorite bands of the last decade. Amazing musicianship and songwriting. I'm hoping to catch them live soon.

18. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean he was he hard to work for? I grew up on his music...always really enjoyed it.

19. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Saw Raging Grace again last night. I guess this was our 9th or 10th time seeing them live. Absolutely fantastic.

Pidgin English likes this.
  20. no1yuno

no1yuno Supporting Member

Hey! You left me out! I took Gordon's place when he left. I left after the Inside CD. I also played and wrote on some Petra stuff. Now I play for country artist Trace Adkins.

Lt Dak, Spec, DRS and 3 others like this.