contemporary Christian music.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ericjohnschwab, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Machew

Machew Member

I haven't gone through all the post but has anyone mentioned:

Josh Garrels
    Jason Upton

Melodic Dreamer likes this.
  2. oxtone

oxtone Member

no1yuno - are you Brian Wooten? If so, you are a great guitarist! Your work on Highlands is fantastic! I saw White Heart many times, starting with Dann Huff on guitar. Have been to Dann's house in Brentwood, too, but I think he moved since then.

Lt Dak likes this.
  3. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

I am a huge Lincoln Brewster and Hillsong fan. Jeremy Camp also has some great songs. We play all that stuff at church.

Pidgin English likes this.
  4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I’ve kinda lost touch with that genre, but back in the day I remember thinking that Keith Green had this Cat Stevens vibe going on that I really dug. And Beyond Nature by Phil Keaggy was just as great an instrumental guitar album as the Leo Kottke and Michael Hedges output.

5. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

No way! I Loved Powerhouse. Great playing on that one.

6. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

When I first started listening to Christian music in 06, there was a lot of guitar-heavy stuff which I loved. Bands like Decemberadio, Thousand Foot Krutch, Hawk Nelson, Pillar and Decyfer Down were putting out some hard hitting stuff which I love.

So much of it today has an overabundance of EDM samples and beats. At the church my family attends, they have an Apple computer on the keyboard that triggers all the EDM beats. Even Lincoln Brewster has a ton of electronic stuff in his current music. I do enjoy listening to the music by churches/groups like Hillsong, Bethel and the Passion conference, but I sure would like to listen to some guitar-centric music that still glorifies the Lord.

I'm thankful to be in a band that leads worship at many Celebrate Recovery's in town. We play a lot of the songs of the day but we just use 2 guitars, bass and drums. I love getting to do the music I love with an old school vibe to it.

7. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Now way, you played for WhiteHeart?

8. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Lots of older artists...

Whitecross (sounds like Ratt with the killer Rex Carroll on guitar)
    Petra (John Schlitt of Head East on vocals)
    Whiteheart (with Dann Huff)
    X-Sinner (AC/DC sounding band)
    Stryper
    Ransom
    Phil Keaggy (solo and with Glass Harp)
    Lincoln Brewster
    Eternal Ryte (Dokken type)
    Mastedon (with John Elefante of Kansas)

9. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I like gospel stuff from Robert Randolph & Marty Stuart. I like Jonathan Kingham.

I appreciate what Hillsong & the like have done. Unfortunately I don’t have a musical understanding or enjoyment for that style & it’s pushed me out of playing at church.

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I’m pretty much burnt on most the Christian music out today. There are some more indie singer songwriter types I still enjoy.

11. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Supporting Member

wow, someone resurrected (no pun intended) an old thread here. love to see it keep going... The big shame is there has so much amazing Christian rock from the mid 70's such as Keaggy, Resurrection band, degarmo and key etc through the early 2000's that is totally forgotten, there are no 'classic christian' stations. Is there a market for good Christian music today unless it's praise and worship?? I don't see any. The only thing promoted is the vocalized processed junk that's sounds like another pop single. having said that check out anything by Neal Morse. also check out Affector and Theocracy for some good heavy Christian music.

Brett Valentine likes this.
  12. PRW

PRW Member

I did a search and if I missed him being mentioned, apologies, but as far as I'm concerned ... even though he was considered an apostate in some quarters because he didn't do outward praise music ... Mark Heard is the mic drop when it comes to great CCM.

2leod likes this.
  13. p81

p81 Member

I listen to lots of Gospel Reggae :)

14. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    That album and Dry Bones Dance are regular rotation on most of my playlists. Orphans of God from Satellite Sky speaks to me on so many levels.

Edit: Looking back 100 months now( :omg ) to post 95, these were the two albums I threw in the mix, but the links are now dead so thanks for bumping Mark Heard again!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 10:16 AM
  15. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Used to listen a ton to Pierce Pettis.
    Also when Big Dismal's first album came out, couldn't get enough of it .. but yikes that's all 90's lol

16. rod horncastle

rod horncastle Member

CCM mostly bores me. Although i'm always curious what Amy Grant is doing musically with Vince Gill.

I've started listening to christian Bluegrass instead. The Isaacs are great singers and pickers.

17. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

You are the first person I've ever met IRL or on TGP that isn't a fan of Crowder. His voice doesn't sit well with me, either. And his original songs just don't seem to flow well, at least to me. I can safely say that the only Crowder song I can even stand listening to is his version of "How He Loves" and that's not even his song.