Contractual Obligation barrier between EVH and tone to silence critics ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BryanMatthews, Jan 29, 2012.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

Why couldnt EVH have walked into the recording studio to lay tracks down for the new album, and have his frankenstrat, his legendary superlead head and a 70s mxr script logo phase pedal to play them with ?

Ed`s amps are now made by peavey / fender and they sound nothing like his fabled superlead. What ive heard from the new album sounds like the indistinct cheesy chorus tones from 25 yrs ago which go in one ear and out the other, whereas those superlead and mxr tones were majestic and tore your face off.

Why couldnt he whip the frankenstrat outta the case and use the old gear, why did he do a clapton , who at the cream reunion bored the crowd by using a strat into a tweed combo when thousands wanted to hear with with a les paul into a bluesbreaker amp.........talk about a disappointment !!

Is Ed so wrapped up in contractual obligation that he cant use the equipment that made him a legend ?

2. V-Type

V-Type Member

Is their actual studio footage?
    Ed may have used plenty of his Historic gear as far as we know.
    The production can fool you sometimes.
    But yeah on stage Evh the company uses what he endorses.
    However he has pulled out the old Kramer's and other classics from time too time.

3. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Didn't we decide in one of your previous threads that the new VH album had been exhausted as a topic for discussion? Can we wait until the album is actually released?

4. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

when i saw him live the last tour with DLR (one...two years ago?) he used way to much distortion in MY opinion. he's eddie... if he likes the way that he sounds, w3ho am i to say any different. he gets a pass for being a legendary badass!

5. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Nah, Eddie's playing with the tone HE wants to play, not what you want to hear him play. These guys with endorsements, ESPECIALLY in the studio, use whatever the hell they want. His current gear was designed with major input from the man himself, so it would make very little sense if he didn't use it, wouldn't it? Face it, he's moved on. You don't drive the same car you had in '77, probably don't bang the same woman, and I'm willing to bet you've been through countless drastic gear and tone changes in the last 30 years. Eddie's no different.

6. John II

John II Member

Perhaps he has chosen to not use his historic guitars and amp(s) because they simply do not inspire him to play like they used to.

7. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

You just HAD to go there....

:sarcasm

8. BigDar

BigDar Member

So what evil has Ed done to the OP? Seems to really have a hard-on for Ed. It's only music, bud.

9. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

Early ED: best tone of all time

Later Ed: absolute **** tone.

10. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Maybe he's tone deaf these days? All kidding aside he probably likes the sound he's getting otherwise he wouldn't be using it. It's definitely more pre-amp sounding but its far from ******. Some of it has to do with the echo and panning also. Obviously he wasn't concerned about giving the fans what they wanted to hear and used what works for him now.

11. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Thousands- no hundreds of guitar geeks wanted to hear Clapton with the Gibson/Marshall combo, hundreds of thousands of other people could care less, and enjoyed the show just fine.

12. SteveO

SteveO Member

Eddie isn't endorsed by EVH amps and guitars, it's his company (well, partially at least), so I would guess that he is more interested in selling his own products than giving screen time to gear made by the competition.

13. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

Maybe he has just evolved as a player? For those of you guys that started playing back when the dinosaurs ruled the earth, do you still play with the same gear and the same tone and write the same kinds of songs that you did 30 + years ago? Lot's of ball busting going on but I seriously doubt more than 2% of the posters here could stand toe to toe with Eddie. If that.

14. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Clapton didn't use the JTM45 (Bluesbreaker) combo with Cream. He played it with...the Bluesbreakers (that's why the amps are now called that). He'd moved on to Marshall stacks with Cream, live, at least.

15. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

In the studio as well, Tom Dowd remarked that they were ear blisteringly loud in the studio.

16. drewl

drewl Member

17. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

18. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

/thread

19. sahhas

sahhas Member

well, i think ed's said in interviews that his original frankenstrat has seen better days and is retired (and this was yrs ago)...and his marshall has been worked on (i know nothing of these things, check the posts, they are endless)....but supposedly when ed had his original amp overhauled/repaired back for the balance album ('95) he used it on "aftershock" (there might have been a 2nd song, can't remember)....
    so listen to that to see if you think that song captured his "early tone"

honestly i do think ed uses in the studio, whatever he wants to get whatever sound he wants...as he always has...
    from what i've heard the new stuff sounds great....i think...

20. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

If you want to hear that tone, just cue up the first album on vinyl and STFU.
    Nobody's forcing you to buy the new record, and Ed, like any artist, has no obligation to settle for playing in a VH cover band, regurgitating the same s**t album after album. Miles had the best comment about this, when people gave him s**t for playing stuff like Bitches Brew and abandoning the whole bop/standards thing:

"What, didn't we do it good enough the first time?"

It might also be that Ed doesn't give a s**t what a bunch of people on the internet think of his tone.