1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

contributing factors still firmly in place ?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Dec 7, 2017.

1. LDS22

LDS22 Supporting Member

it doesn't have "to have a corrosive effect." I believe managing this would fall under "parenting," right?

derekd and EricPeterson like this.
  2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

What is wrong with looking and not making lewd comments? Are men so weak willed they can't enjoy the view and keep the cat calling to themselves?

Nevets, derekd, LDS22 and 2 others like this.
  3. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

No, but I had to turn on the radio, and spoiled a very nice conversation I was having with my 8 year old.

My guess is that most of the responders either don’t have young children, or simply believe that anything should be allowed in public.

4. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

A lot of the people currently being accused are well over 50, what is their excuse?

derekd, A-Bone and LDS22 like this.
  5. sundog964

They had a head start.

Most are in a position of extreme power. Not just for a job, but an entire industry.

But yes, it is coming out now, that people misbehaved long ago, when it was overlooked or ignored.

EricPeterson likes this.
  6. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

It almost certainly started with the blues.

sundog964 likes this.
  7. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

This is not new however...
    It is everywhere. I can't escape it either. My son is constantly censoring his own music, lowering the volume, pausing it, etc out of respect for me but it's his daily diet. This is a kid who was in honors violin and now it's 100% rap. I USED to love Rap back in the day. I'm huge Dre, E, Cube, NWA fan...but now it's so depressing and disheartening imo. They don't have anything fantastic nor funny to say like in the 80's/90's. IMO they've run out of material and it's become sad

While I'm ranting...
    The rappers who try to sing today can't hold a note but are still celebrated. My dog sings better than Drake

'62 Stratmaniac likes this.
  8. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Your dog can probably dance better too

[​IMG]

derekd, sundog964 and pickaguitar like this.
  9. Timcito

Timcito Member

To add another question, what constitutes an acceptable pass at a woman and an unacceptable one? Is an attempted kiss okay? If so, just how tentative should it be? Years ago, I had a thing for a young woman that i believed may have liked me too, and I wanted to make a move. I confided in a female colleague, who advised me to 'jump on her.' Clearly, she didn't mean ripping the young woman's clothes off, but she did mean a pretty assertive physical move on her physical person. She opined that this kind of approach would communicate my manly passion for her and win her over. I didn't follow the advice - it wasn't my style - but a year or so later, my brother was interested in someone that he thought might be interested in him, and he asked me what I thought. I told him what my coworker had said to me, and he went ahead with it - a sudden smacker (big kiss) with a passionate embrace. Their ensuing relationship nearly ended up in marriage. That was in the mid 80s. Would an assertive kiss and embrace be a dangerous thing to do now, I wonder?

sundog964 likes this.
  10. Quantum Cat

Quantum Cat Member

So as a parent, how do you manage it with your kids? What are their ages btw?

I'm sure it was Elvis shaking his hips on Lawrence Welk.

11. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

Subtle by 1985 standards. Filthy in it's time. You have the benefit of age and perspective to judge older material by.

Ah, the good old days when Kip Winger could write songs about underage sex and it was seen as "subtle" and "innuendo". Was Nugent's song about statutory rape subtle? Innuendo?

derekd and sundog964 like this.
  12. chrisjw5

Does she work with you? For you? Do you have any kind of control over her job conditions, even as a co-worker?

If the answer to those is "yes" then the answer to "should I?" is NO.

That's a good starting point.

Another good one is learning to read body language. If you get good at it, you can tell. If you can't tell, the answer is, again, no.

derekd likes this.
  13. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

This is a really complicated issue. Both Hollywood and Hugh Hefner, although moving our society forward on many social issues, are also seriously complicit in the objectification of women. It doesn't help that many smart and powerful women, like Beyoncé and Lady Gaga, blatantly use their sexuality to advance their careers. What kind of message does this give to young girls who hold them up as role models? As with many complicated issues, there are no simple answers.

sundog964 likes this.
  14. chrisjw5

As to Bey and Gaga and any woman, it's actually pretty simple. Each person controls their sexuality. Period. If Gaga wants to look sexy, that's her right. It doesn't give anyone else a right to touch her, pressure her, jerk off in front of her or drop their pants to show her their junk.

From that comes the lesson that women aren't objects.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but it's not a hard concept. The understanding, embracing and acting it out is the challenge because it involves a whole lot of people shifting their way of thinking, and that is uncomfortable for many.

15. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

You missed my point entirely. Yes, women have the right to control their sexuality as they see fit. But, you didn't address my question about the message young girls are getting that they have to be overtly sexual in order to be recognized or accepted.

sundog964 likes this.
  16. Timcito

Timcito Member

According to my wife, it's the expression of a new form of feminism in which women are free to celebrate their sexuality. I think it was a generation back when feminists were more concerned about being treated as sex objects. I remember the university environment back in the 80s and early 90s when, at least among the circles I was in, the idea of responding first to women as sexually attractive and regardless of personality, was definitely out. Many strong young women of this generation do not see things like that.

17. Timcito

Timcito Member

Well, I'm married now, so the idea of 'jumping on' anyone else is not on my agenda. In terms of reading body language, though, personality can play tricks on us. I was shy as a young man, so if there were any doubts at all, I'd assume she wasn't interested.

18. loudboy

loudboy Member

Right out of the blue? Absolutely.

After a job interview or business meeting? Absolutely.

At the end of a real date, with obvious chemistry and flirting going on? Probably not. If it was received negatively, stopping and apologizing would be the correct move.

Sidney Vicious likes this.
  19. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Subtle? You mean like this?

Or how about this?

20. sundog964

I’d post some hip hop to counter, but I’d get a suspension. At least most people get the point.