Controlling Oscillation

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tayste_2000, Apr 21, 2008.

1. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Now I have quite a few pedals where I can control the pitch and intensity of noise pedals such as the Catalinbread V8, Teaser Stallion, Zoom UF-01, Subdecay Fembot etc etc using the volume or tone knob on my bass but I lose this control if any sort of buffer is put infront of these pedals so I'm wondering if a pedal such as the Fender Volume/Tone would allow me to control the oscillation of these pedals?

Any insight would be a great help.

Also are the jacks side mounted on all those huge fender pedals?

2. kp8

kp8 Member

Devi Ever / effector 13 used to make a vol pot in a pedal. I think it was the JP? I dunno...

3. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

I need something that I can control with my feet to alter the pitch and things so that Devi ever pedal wouldn't work unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestion though

4. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

a passive volume or tone circuit between the buffer and the fuzz should solve your problem. The oscillation is reacting to the changing load. You buffer maintains a consistent load regardless of the bass settings, thus no change in oscillation pitch. If you've done any guitar rewiring yourself, this shouldn't be a problem. There are a couple of premade pedals that already do this, usually in the $60-70US range. The parts them self come to about $20-30US depending on what you use. If you have the skills, save the dough and build one with the size and layout you want. If not, the preassembled price is pretty reasonable

Perhaps use a small sized hammond box, but find the largest knob you can find (like those on many of the univibe clones or X-Blender) to control with your foot. Perhaps you could put this circuit and the fuzz in a single tb loop so you don't always have to deal with it. Or put a switch on the new circuit so you can switch it out.

I have one pedal that oscillates in a very nice way, but the SHO buffers the signal before it. At this point, I have to switch the SHO off to get control of the oscillation. A little bit of work, but it is also a sound I try to "plan" for, so not as much of am issue.

Last thought, it would be kind of cool to use a momentary switch instead of a TB switch, quick on/off switch between two oscillation pitches.

joe

5. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

So would that fender pedal work then? It appears you are saying it would, I want something I can adjust freely instead of a large knob it's just a personal preference, I might mod a cheaper volume pedal to do this but I do like the 2 axis design of the Fender.

Thanks for the clarification

6. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I would think (need to test this myself) that any volume pedal (no mod needed) between the buffer and the fuzz would accomplish what you want, and would essentially act as a pitch control. It probably won't be the same pitches that a guitar-fuzz produces, but variable none the less. I'll try it next time I have some free time with my pedalboard.

joe

7. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Thanks