Controlling Strymon Timeline and Mobius remotely ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by prodrigu, Apr 2, 2015.

1. prodrigu

prodrigu Supporting Member

I have a Mobius and a Timeline but so far I have not used any programmable looper/switcher but I am starting to think on going that route now.

Seems like there are many threads on loopers/Strymon around here but I didn't find a straight answer in any of them yet so here is the question: what are you using to change presets and control tap tempo on your multiple Strymon boards ? I wanted to get something with loops for my other pedals as well.

Would a Musicom Lab device using CC messages for tap tempo and preset change work ?

Many thanks in advance.

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

I'm using the Peak fc4n whatever its called

controls the big sky and timeline, i have it set up so they are on separate midi channels so i can control them separately. certainly makes life so much easier.

oh and yes, the musicom sends pcs and ccs, ao can do tap tempo as well

i have a true bypass looper with built in tap tempo that i use to tap it in.

3. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Like mcdes, I have the Peak 4-button controller (both of them actually). Won't solve your need for loops, but they are really good and powerful MIDI controllers for the cost. I went that route and then I use a separate MIDI controllable looper. I like keeping things modular. The newer 4-button MFC is better suited for having tap tempos, toggle and preset changes, just by the way the buttons and lights work.

4. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I have used Behringer FCB1010 and now use the Liquid Foot mini. Both can be set up to change presets, activate specific functions, map parameters to expression controls, and trigger the Timeline looper. I use an RJM effects gizmo to bring other effects in and out.

Lie RockDebris, I went with a modular approach as opposed to an all-in-one device. Controlling multiple devices requires a certain amount of programming flexibility that is sometimes omitted in "compact" solutions. I also try to buy midi peripherals that allow my rig to grow or me to change interface layout. If I switch out an effect or midi device, I don't want to be limited because the controller's mapping is fixed. I learned tha lesson in the 90s when that was morE common.

Joe

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  5. prodrigu

Thank you guys. Would you mind elaborating how tap tempo works if I go in the Musicom route ?

I am assuming I will use it to recall presets which have tempos saved with them in the Strymon units. But how does the tap tempo work ? Do we assign one of the switches to send CC messages or do we have to enter some sort of special mode ?

Thanks again.

6. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Send CC #93 (any value) to any of the big Strymon units. (BigSky changes pre-delay time). I don't know about Musicom, I stayed away from having 1 unit do so much, but with the Peak controllers and the Fractal Audio MFC-101, it's fairly trivial to accomplish.

7. prodrigu

8. MoltenVoltage

MoltenVoltage Member

Tap tempo is OK, but if you want to sync multiple pedals, you should use MIDI Clock. There are a ton of effects that can do sync together, including the TimeLine, Mobius, and Big Sky. This page has a list of pedals that can sync to MIDI Clock.

.:. Bill

fhelu likes this.
  9. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I use a Musicom Lab mkIV for preset changing and a Smart Clock from Disaster aArea Designs for midi clock sync.

10. cacibi

cacibi Member

I use a Molten Voltage Osmosis/SIMI combination. The original program change messages are generated by my One Control OC10 loop switcher, then the Osmosis takes the incoming message and sends out whatever I program based on that PC

fhelu likes this.