contruction techniques and quality of friedman amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by donthasslethehoff, Mar 1, 2015.

1. donthasslethehoff

donthasslethehoff Member

hey folks......been recently getting interest in Friedman amps...specifically the small box. And no, i'm not asking anyone to post gut shots or anthing like that...seems to be a bit taboo, from what I've read on this forum about this manufacturer.

So i'm liking the tones I have been listening to about the Small box....and most post seem to be positive about that...but I was kinda interested in the contruction techniques......is it a mix of printed circuit boards and flying leads , like when marshall stopped completely handwiring their amps? Are the tube sockets board mounted? chassis mounted?.....quality components?

anyway, just asking......not looking to buy anytime too soon, but would just like to get an idea of what you get, for what you pay for..thanks, Mike

2. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

The gut shots are out there on other forums.
    Pots n sockets are chassis mounted. Quality components. Concerning the board, here is a quote from Friedman on another forum, "This is a hybrid design. It has very thick board material and has some traces, Mostly for voltage and relay switching. Most all of the audio is handwired like a turret board."

Edited to add the rest of the quote: "The reason for the board is to do dc heaters and all jumper connections to relays and such , relays are not the easiest to do on turret boards and the connections on the bottom of the board are all the same and very reliable now. The board and the rest of the amp now is extreamly quiet and stable with no variance in build quality. I hope this cleared some things up for you guys. Just trying to make the best most consistent amps out there. "

3. donthasslethehoff

donthasslethehoff Member

4. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

See above for edit, and you're most welcome!

FWIW, Friedman was responsive to me in email when I blew a fuse on my JJ.
    When you pay that kind of $ on an amp, I believe you're not only buying a well-built piece of gear, but also piece of mind, knowing that you will be taken care of if anything ever goes wrong with the amp.

5. donthasslethehoff

donthasslethehoff Member

thanks again LP....service after the sale is really important to me also....I wouldn't really be able to purchase till maybe sometime this summer....just trying to get a feel for it, other that the nice tones I've been listening too