Convert 2x12 combo to 1x12......speaker change

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Shinequwa, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

Hey guys,

I have a Crate VFX 5212, which is a 2x12 50 watt combo amp. I'm happy with it, but I'm trying to get the weight down a little bit. I'm thinking about removing both speakers, and replacing one speaker with a neo speaker, which I'm figuring will bring the weight from 58 pounds down to about 46 pounds. I play this amp in tandem with a Fender Concert II 1x12, so I don't really need the extra speaker in the Crate. One speaker in each amp is fine for me. I'm also thinking about replacing the speaker in the Fender with a neo, but I'm a bit nervous, as that amp is the heart of my rig. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. khromo231

khromo231 Guest

I have a Mesa Maverick which weighed too much with the stock Vintage 30's. I put an Eminence L'il Texas and an Eminence TonkerLite in it, with seperate leads/phone plugs, so I can play it with either speaker or with both. It seems to make the amp a little more versatile, and it saved quite a bit of weight, although it is still a pain to move around.

If I were going to leave just one driver in the amp, I would probably make a plug for the other driver hole, to prevent phase cancellation or any other issues that might crop up.

3. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

Thanks! I like your idea of the separate leads. I am going to look into this. Phase cancellation with that empty hole is not something that I had thought about.

4. khromo231

khromo231 Guest

Bolting a round panel securely into the other driver hole will probably stiffen the baffle a little bit, as well. The neo Eminence speakers weigh 4.1 pounds apiece, according to Eminence's website, while Celestion's site gives a weight of 10.4 pounds for the V30's. Works out to a savings of 12.6 pounds.

None of that would matter if the tone wasn't there, but they sound pretty good to me. Some guys with sharper ears than mine might not agree.

5. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

Thanks. I'm not sure how heavy the stock Crate speakers are. I was assuming they were in the 8 lb range. If the Eminence neo speakers are only 4 lbs, I might just load both amps with these. I've heard good things about them, and I use pedals for my distortions anyway. A nice clean non colored speaker might work out well.