Convert Bandmaster 6L6 to 6V6?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by dcmcleod, Dec 20, 2009.

1. dcmcleod

dcmcleod Member

I know this is completely differeent from what everyone else wants but I like the sound of 6V6 tubes. I'm curious if it is a major change to convert a Banmaster from 6L6 tubes to 6V6 tubes? Oh! It's a Blackface Bandmaster.

2. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Re bias the amp, and you can use the JJ 6V6's. They're good up to 500VDC. I think the new Tung Sol Reissue 6V6's are also rated for a higher plate voltage, but NOS tubes will probably cook in a Bandmaster. This will also affect your output impedence.

Mike

3. dcmcleod

dcmcleod Member

Thanks! (This will also affect your output impedence.) Will the impedence difference hurt any of the other components? I would like to make sure this is an easy and do able thing before I take it to a amp tech? Also just in case this doesn't work out for me I can convert it back to it's original state. Plus I don't want to replace tubes because I it runs them to hot.

4. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Most Fenders can tolerate a mismatch of one step either way. Unless I remembered this wrong, your output impedence will double. 4 ohms will become 8 ohms. Your Bandmaster should also have a bias adjustment knob inside. A smart mod to do is to add a 1 ohm/2 watt resistor to pin 8 of the power tubes to ground. Remove the existing wire on that pin. The current you measure on that resistor is your bias reading. Bias is all you have to change to run the JJ's, and it simply involves turning a pot. The following is a link on this from Doug Hoffman's site (scroll down to the section "in progress"): http://www.el34world.com/charts/fenderservice5.htm

Mike

5. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Hammond now makes Deluxe OT's with 4-8-18ohm taps. If you want that 6v6 grind, I'd recommend a smaller OT.