Converted a Voc AC15c1 into a head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IronChefChris, Jan 16, 2015.

1. IronChefChris

IronChefChris Member

So I had a thread about this earlier this week asking some questions about the why's and how's and whatnots but didn't get much in the way of answers...but I plowed ahead anyway and built a head shell for the AC15c1 chasis...here are some results so far (pics to come once it's done)

The reason for doing this was for a few little issues I have with the AC.

1) Alleviate the weight of that combo. Some folks told me the weight is in the stock vox combo cab and they are right. It's still really heavy now that I removed the chassis out of it. Speakers heavy too, but that wood is really heavy in there.
    2) Build a better 1x12 or 2x12 cab myself that will be a lighter pine box with a better speaker (I like the stock greenback but I'm going to the leave the rest of the combo at home as my "home cab". If I ever decide to put the chassis back in the combo, it's all there for me.
    3) Make the amp itself more durable. Yeah, the Vox is a tank but I have found combos to be more likely to have issues than a head. I think the reason is size. Shrinking the amp into a head allows me to have the chassis in a more compact enclosure and I can customize the protection. It also fits in a suitcase!
    4) I like building stuff. That's a huge part of it, haha.

A few issues so far;

1) The chassis is pretty large. As a result, the head is a bit bigger than one would like and almost defeats the purpose. Having said that, it is MUCH lighter and is definitely smaller than the combo cab. The overall result of the project, with a new cab, will make the Vox a lighter, larger, 2 part amp, which I'm fine with. Bigger looks better, bigger pine cab sounds better, and I'd rather take 2 lighter trips than one heavy trip.

The head dimensions so far are 23.5in long (to accommodate control panel) x 11.5in tall (to accommodate back panel and tubes) x 7in deep...If I decide to, I can cut 1.5in off of the height to make it even more compact. The other dimensions are pretty much set as tight as they can be.

2) Because of the layout of the chassis, there's no good way to have a front panel or back panel for a head unit. My options are to have the control panel on the front of the amp, with the power/speaker/and footswitch jacks on the top of the amp (strange) and the tubes sitting horizontally (not ideal), or have the controls on the top, nothing on the front, and the jacks in the back (sort of like the combo had). This would be the obvious choice but then the head unit itself sits rather tall for a head unit...and I'd have to make a "face" for the front panel so it doesn't look like a plain box. Decisions...decisions

So far, I'm not totally sold that I'll keep it as head or just go back to the combo, but it doesn't cost me anything to try it out (I have free wood and tolex). We'll see...

2. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

I did something similar with an AC30CC2 chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, with the AC30, I had the advantage that all the tubes didn't hang down behind the speakers.

In your case it might be a little awkward
    [​IMG]

I don't think you want to lay the tubes horizontally, so that would mean keeping the same orientation as it is stock. However, that means you are going to have a tall head, which is ok. Only concern there is that you try to make it too thin, and it becomes unstable and wants to tip over at the slightest bump. The transformers are the heavy part of that chassis, so they might already be making it heavy to one side (like a tube TV), and a skinny head box is only going to amplify that effect. Just a note of caution.

IMO, if the plywood cab is where all the weight is coming from, why not just make a lighter combo cab?

3. IronChefChris

IronChefChris Member

^yeah I agree and took the tipping thing into consideration. I'm gonna work on it a bit more and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I can always throw it back in the combo or, like you said, build a better, lighter combo

4. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I'd be curious to see some pics if you got around to building it.

I just picked up an AC15C1 recently, and I was thinking of making it into a separate (leightweight) head now too. I did it to my Orange AD30TC not too long ago also... :)