Converting a J Mascis Jazzmaster to baritone...

...got the Warmoth baritone conversion neck on the way, maple w/rosewood, GraphTech nut. the main questions I have left and can't seem to find satisfactory answers to are (1) what are the 'best' tuning machines to use for a 6-string baritone that will be 13 or so on the high B and high60s-low70s on the low B string? and (2) should I just pluck the string tree from the JMJ's headstock and add it to the new one, or is there one out there that will really make enough of a difference to replace it?

I'm having the tuner holes drilled 'vintage style'. I'm looking at the Kluson and Gotohs mostly. I don't need locking tuners but I'm certainly not against them, it just seems they are more likely to be unable to fit a larger lower string. I don't want to do unnecessary drilling into the wood, and I certainly don't want to drill out or ream the holes of the tuners to get them to take larger string diameters. Is there any really nice set of tuning pegs just ready to go for baritones? Is it better to get a set for a 7 or 8 string guitar and just use the bottom 6?

any advice along these lines is greatly appreciated, cheers.

poolshark

Silver Supporting Member
What tuning do you plan to run? I've run as low as A Standard and never required a 6th string as large as you describe. If you insist, it looks like Fender uses Kluson-style vintage tuners on their various Bass VIs. That's where I'd start.

What tuning do you plan to run? I've run as low as A Standard and never required a 6th string as large as you describe. If you insist, it looks like Fender uses Kluson-style vintage tuners on their various Bass VIs. That's where I'd start.
Thanks for the response! I plan on having it most frequently tuned B-B, some A-A, some open tunings. I just happen to like playing larger strings at times, you can get a really nice attack sound and kind of a percussive, piano-like thing going on. I've found some more info in the mean time, looks like I'm going to go with Kluson vintage-style locking tuners and see how that works out. Thanks again, tho.

fyler

speaking of string trees, i installed a Mastery string tree on my baritone telecaster at the same time that i put on a mastery bridge. i'm pretty sure it made zero difference! :D

drive-south

speaking of string trees, i installed a Mastery string tree on my baritone telecaster at the same time that i put on a mastery bridge. i'm pretty sure it made zero difference! :D
Do you have a Blacktop Baritone Tele? If so how do you like it?

fyler

Do you have a Blacktop Baritone Tele? If so how do you like it?
yes, i do love it, but there's a pretty big caveat: i've modded the crap out of it. :D
i swapped out all of the wiring for an Emerson harness, changed the pickups (and the pickguard, because i didn't want the middle pick up), changed the bridge to a Mastery (as well as the aforementioned string tree ;) )
also, i don't use it as a baritone, exactly. i have it tuned CGDGCD.

drive-south

Thanks Fyler.

I've got a bug for a bari-Tele but am inclined to buy a body and bolt on a Warmoth conversion neck.

Trending Topics