Converting a Super Reverb to a 2x10 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Phishy4, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

Can you guys tell me what's going to be involved to convert an old (extremely beat up) silverface Super Reverb to a 2x10 combo in a new cab? I've heard the trannies on Supers are 2ohm, is that correct? If so do I have any options as far as running 2x10s or would I be better off converting to a head or just putting it back in a repro 4x10 combo cab?

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Yes the amp has a 2 ohm OT.Better to put it into a new cabinet.You can get some real nice ones from Mojotone and Weber.A solid pine cab will sound better too.

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

just buy a heyboer, triad or similar 2,4,8 ohm output transformer for it.

4. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

To get 2ohms will require buying two 4ohm 10's. Why do you want to change the amp, is it too big?

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Is there any issue with flyback voltages utilzing those impedance matchers?

P.S.

The cost of a new OT is less than the Z-Matcher.

http://store.triodestore.com/suretwbaco59.html

6. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

Well, I had kind of thought the idea of hauling around a 4x10 combo wasn't that appealing, but I really like the way the 4-10s sound now that I played it. I think what I'll do is probably just put it in a new super cab. Who makes the best repros that you guys know of?

I'm not lying man, it's ROUGH looking. The cab is pretty much shot. The thing hadn't run in 3 years, but we fired it up, no pilot light but it sounded great (running on what appeared to be 1 1/2 power tubes too, lol). I bought it from an amp shop here (long story, wound up getting left there by someone a few years back) so they're going to tune it up, caps and tubes and stuff, and get it cleaned up a little in it's current cab, then I might rehouse it later. Any other suggestions on stuff I should have them do?

7. WaltC

WaltC Member

J.D. Newell or Mojotone would be my first two choices, I've used them both with success.

8. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

JD Newell for me i've made a 1x12 Bandmaster reverb and a 1x15 Vibroclone off of a Silver Super reverb that was disgusting to look at but sounded mightyfine.Here's the Blondie Super-Allen OT works great.[​IMG]

9. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

That looks great man. I'll give JD Newell a shout for a cab I think. Do you guys have a source for faceplates at all?

10. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

11. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

12. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

As far as doing a 2x10 I think you're right, I'll probably also pick up a vibrolux here sometime. I think I'm just going to restore this one as a regular super reverb and get a repro 4x10 combo cab from JD Newell.

13. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

Good call. I have a few different variations of the Fender 4 x 10 setup (SR, Brown Concert, Bassman), and each sounds magnificent in its own way. Can't beat 4 x 10 for guitar, IMO.

Too loud for a small room, you say? Get a piece of plexiglass from Home Depot and make some 'feet' for a shield. Retains that huge guitar sound without blasting the front row.

14. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

Well, my tech tore into the Super today and apparently it has an un-original output transformer (from a 70's bassman) that has 4/8/16ohm taps on it already AND 2 of the alnico 10's are fubar'd and will require a recone. So I'm thinking since I've got 2 good 10's and an output tranny that will support it, I'm going to have JD Newell build me a 2x10 combo cab to house it in for now, then when I get the speakers reconed in the future I'll track down the correct 2ohm OT and rebuild it as an original 4x10 Super.

15. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

beware of blowing the good pair (esp if they are cts alnicos)

16. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

I believe it does have CTS Alnicos, one of them the voice coil is rubbing pretty bad and one is frozen. Do you know off hand what they're rated at? Would 2x10 @ 4ohms be pushing them too much?

17. smolder

smolder Silver Supporting Member

I'd never noticed that the bf super reverb and vibrolux reverb are virtually identical except for the filter cap section and OT. Is the PT the same? Interesting...

18. Raybob

Raybob Member

The OT and the PT are different and the mid caps on both channels are different.

19. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

If it were me, I'd strip the old tolex and grill cloth and put some new on, and replace the 2 bad 10's you have (or all 4). More labor involved, but if you like the sound of that cab, then you should use it, unless the actual structure of it is damaged.

Not saying a new cab is a bad idea, just that with some TLC, the old can be made to look new with less money - and keep whatever mojo you have with the old cab.

20. jay42

jay42 Member

All these ideas should get you there. I would to to Newell for cabs, ultimately replace the OT with a 2/4/8 from Heyboer and play with the tone stack caps. In my case, I would put the chassis in a head and use a separate cab, but ymmv.