Converting a Superlead to Superbass specs

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by EXP, Aug 5, 2006.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    i have a Metro Amp ' 68 Superlead ptp in my 1959 SLP(Sozo caps, MM OT/choke) that im thinking of changing to Superbass specs. i know the early ones just didnt have a bright cap. is it just a few value/resistor changes? a totally different tone stack? increase in power supply filtering?

i was also going to switch out the JJ EL-34's for a quad of Shuguang/Valve Arts KT66. im running it though a 1960AX loaded with Scumback H55/75hz. i love that Band of Gypsies clean tone which is why i want to make the switch.

2. Roe

Roe Member

ask at the metroboard and at the plexipalace

3. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i did at plexipalace, no replies yet.

my account is still inactive at the metroamp forum.

4. JimiB

JimiB Member

Change V1 split cathode to shared 220uf/820ohm combo. and cut the bright cap out. that should get you real close.

5. rhinson

rhinson Member

hello, i'm not sure about the filtering---that'll vary depending on the the type of feel you want. but the basics are to change it back to tweed bassman/jtm45 part values on the board: changes are----.1mf coupling caps to the power tubes in the phase inverter, .022 cap instead of .002 cap in the bright ch., 56k slope resistor instead of 33k; remove .68mf from across the 820ohm resistor in the second stage; shared instead of split cathode on the first stage (820ohm/330mf cap), use a 100pf bright cap on the bright chan. vol pot. that's about it. you will probably want to change/clip the bright cap across the 470k resistor from the bright ch. vol. rh

6. JimiB

JimiB Member

oh yeah and what he said also :AOK

7. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

thanks rhinson and JimiB!

that really helps me out.:AOK