• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

converting Hagstrom 12 string viking into 6

Lullabies

Hello folks. I have a question for the more experienced guitar techs out there. I have a Hagstrom viking 12 string that has amazing pickups and looks great but i dont play as much 12 string as i was expecting so I took off the extra strings last summer but it had issues staying in tune and the intonation on the higher frets was way off so its just been sitting on my wall all year.

I am taking it to get setup next week and was going to get it back to its 12 string setup but I am in need of a new 6 string for standard tuning and was hoping i could get it set up now as 6 string. My question is even with a new set of .10s and a pro setup will this hagstrom be able to stay intonated and hold tune or will it always stray from that because of its 12 string construction?

TL/DR can I get my Hagstrom 12 string setup professionally as a 6 string and will it be able to handle that configuration intonation wise and tension/tuning wise

Thanks for the time

swiveltung

I'm not sure why it wouldn't intonate properly as 12 or 6? A proper nut and I would think you would be good to go... IF the neck will stay flat with 6 strings...

Lullabies

I'm not sure why it wouldn't intonate properly as 12 or 6? A proper nut and I would think you would be good to go... IF the neck will stay flat with 6 strings...
Ah ok. To be honest I think the hagstroms intonation was off with the 12 strings on when i got it. It was a floor model.

Should I ise heavier gauage strings then or just .10s/.09s?

Thank you for your insight sir

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
You need to try it with 10's if that is what you prefer and then address any issues after a proper attempt at setup.

swiveltung

Intonate it with fresh strings. Pick lightly. How high is the action? any buzzing? You may need to back off on the truss rod with only 6 strings. Other intonation issues include strong pickups too close to the strings...

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Just for the sake of experimentation, you could string to the 6 tuners closest to the far end of the headstock, which will minimize the string angle across the nut. This won't make a difference on intonation but it may help it hold tune longer.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom