converting mpeg to .wav

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Martyk, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Martyk

Martyk Member

Simple questions (I hope): Once my gigs are recorded on my Marantz pmd670, they go into the computer as mpegs, but I want to be able to listen to them on ordinary cd players so I don't want to burn them as mp3s, I want to burn them as .wav files right?

Is there a free download that can do this conversion for me? Or am I being stupied and there is an easier way to do this?
    The Marantz is recording in mp3 format but it appears with an .mpeg extension.

I just want to hear this in my car!!!

Thanks,
    Marty

2. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

We had some mp3s of us playing and I put them on a CD as a Music CD project under Easy CD Creator. It converted them to CDA files (the "normal" CD format) for me automatically.

If you really want them as WAV files you could use something like Audacity to read in the MP3 and then convert to WAV files. FYI Audacity is free but you will need to make sure you pick up the MP3 converter (which is an add in but also free).

3. Martyk

Martyk Member

Easy Cd Creator - you mean Roxio. Yeah, the problem I'm having with Roxia is that is says it can't find any audio files when I point it to my mp3s = how do you get around this? And yes, CDA is fine from Roxio - I use it for other CD burning with no problems.
    Thanks again,
    Marty

4. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

One easy way would be to rename your *.mpeg files to *.mp3. I think that should work.

Bill

5. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I'm using Easy CD Creator v5. When I open it and chose to make a music CD and the window opens to select files I simply go to the directory that has the mp3s in it and drag the mp3s (which all have an mp3 extension) down to the bottom of the window and then click record. That's all I had to do. Worked like a charm.

6. Martyk

Martyk Member

bbarnard,
    my files have the extension .mpeg even though they are mp3's - make any sense to you? That's how they're coming off the Marantz. I may have to call them....

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I don't know the answer to your problem, but I know they are not the same thing. Slightly different codec.

There must be a program that can convert them.

8. Martyk

Martyk Member

Bummer...I'll have to call Marantz. The manual says the file extension should be .mpg, but it's .mpeg and my Roxio can't "see" it as an audio file.

Thanks for all the help.
    Marty

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

If that's the case, you can just manually change the file extensions to .mpg and they should work. Mpeg and mpg are the same thing, I'm 99% sure.

I don't know the Marantz, but maybe there's an option that would allow you to designate the extension .mpg as the default.

10. Martyk

Martyk Member

OK, I was able to change the extension to .mpg, (thanks MichaelK) but Roxio says it can't recognize hat file type, it will only recognize .WAV, .WMA, and .mp3. Even when I then changed it to .mp3 it says it couldn't recognize it.

I'm ready to jump off a bridge now....

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Well sure, that's different. Whereas mpeg and mpg are the same thing, just changing the extension to mp3 doesn't make it one.

Now that you know what CD Creator can and can't work with, you either need a program that can convert mpg to one of those formats, a different CD authoring program that can work with mpg, or find a way to export from the Marantz in a different file format.

12. Martyk

Martyk Member

I did find that iTunes burning software can do it, so now that's how I'll proceed.
    I just wish I could find an easy way to take a 45 minute set and divide it into 10 or 12 tracks so it's not one big song. Any suggestions? I feel like I'm sponging off of everybody here but I really don't know how to do this.

That's why I love TGP.

Thanks!
    Marty

13. empty

empty Guest

14. empty

empty Guest

Can Import Whole Set into programmes Logic, PRo Tools, PEAK, et cetera:
    Use Function to Split Set into Regions, Then to save regions as Individual Audio Files, Then to build CD From That:
    Voilá!
    MT

15. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Once you have it in "real" MP3 format or WAV you could open the whole thing in Audacity (again it's free) and then you can simply cut and paste each song into a new file for saving as individual tunes. You should be able to leave both screens up at once so you don't have to continually re-open the original to find the tunes.

16. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Even Windows Media Player can do that for you-convert the files and and burn them on a Cd so you can listen to liek any other regular CD.Simply add the files to the "Burn List" on your Media PLayer,insert a blank CD in your CD-RW drive on your computer,press the Burn button and let it do the job for you!

Vlad

17. littlemoon

littlemoon Member

Exactly.

Also, if you have Cool Edit or Adobe Audition, you can mark the recording with cue points and have the program split the file into tracks at the cue points and save the tracks in any format you like, including pcm wav.

littlemoon