Converting open-back cab to closed for more bass--

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brewbaker, Apr 17, 2008.

1. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

I have a Fender-style open-back cab. It's custom-made so the dimensions aren't conventional. It's a little taller and a little narrower than a Princeton cab but the depth is the same. When I compare it with a Princeton I have it lacks bass and punch. I've even tried it with the same RW&B and it definitely seems like a cab issue. So I'm thinking about putting a larger lower back panel on it to see if that increases the bass response. Not entirely closed but leaving a smaller space between the lower panel and the top one. Think it will work?

2. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

No takers on this?

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

My large 2x12 Lopo closed back was tight but lacked bass. I tried "stuffing" it and that helped a bit but eventually removed the stuffing and went 1/3 open on the back on the bottom. Now it has much more low end. Thats all Ive got. Bob

4. big e

big e Member

I experimented with a 2x12 Marshall 1936 cab. It was originally closed back and I wanted an open back cab so I tried a number of different back panel sizes and I found a definite relationship between the size of the panels and the bass response. I'd suggest that before you spend a lot of money to get a tolex-ed panel experiment with a piece of plywood. I think you'll find yes the larger the panel the more bass will be emphasized but there will possibly be a point where you'll lose some of the "air" the open cabs to so well. Have fun experiment.

5. mike80

mike80 Member

There was a post over on The Boogie Board where a guy was experimenting with closing his open back combo, but the concern was with the tubes overheating. I think he ended up fabricating a back panel to cover the speaker, yet leave enough space for the tubes to have ventilation, and he was much happier with the end result.

I would suggest getting a couple peices of scrap plywood and experimenting with different dimensions, and see which you like best, and go from there.