Converting over DL4 power supply??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by snipejd, Mar 10, 2015.

1. snipejd

snipejd Member

Hey

so does anyone know anyone/companies that convert/mod the DL4 power supply over to Boss standard 9v? I know there's gotta be companies that do this.

are there online resources so I can do this myself? Is this a difficult 'mod'? anyone have info on this?

anyone here that mods DL4's beyond the obvious switches?

2. awallace

awallace Member

The DL4 can be run on batteries so it's very likely it will run fine from any 9V DC source that provides enough current. In fact, isn't that what the L6 setting on the Voodoo Labs PP2+ is all about?

*edit*:

From the Voodoo Labs site:

9V (x2) – High Current 9V and Line 6 Modelers
    These two outputs each deliver 250mA allowing you to run high current draw effects like the Boss DD-20 Giga Delay or Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler. Via switches underneath the Pedal Power 2 Plus, these two outputs can be separately configured for regulated (Boss Twin Pedals) or unregulated (Line 6 Modelers) power allowing you to run both units if so desired. These outputs can also power any standard 9V effects as well.

So, you shouldn't need to mod the DL4 at all for this to work.

3. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Yea, you can use any 9V power supply with the DL4, it runs on DC. just pick up one of those green dongles. One time I bought a DL4 and the guy sold it with a US Robotics modem power supply... worked perfectly.

4. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The DL4 does have a voltage converter and runs on AC or DC. If I recall, a 200mA tap can power it, you just need the RED power cable for a Voodoo Lab type power supply. Easy peasy.

5. snipejd

snipejd Member

wait, so it runs on AC or DC??? Cause I know the stock input on it is a 2.5mm instead of 2.1 and I think center positive instead of negative?

I suppose I could just buy a standard 9v input off of any parts site and rewire it? Would this be a difficult/worthwhile modification or should I just get the voodoo dongle adapter?
    does changing the input jack change the current draw? probably not right?

6. stilwel

stilwel Member

yep. 2.5mm center positive. If you use a Voodoo Lab supply the black/red cable that came with the cable kit will do the job.

7. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

It's best to just use the RED cable. It is a 2.5mm barrel connector and the wiring is reversed polarity which the big box Line6 effects are wired.