Converting standard Strat to double humbucker suggestions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by telest, Aug 28, 2006.

1. telest

telest Member

I ordered a Jimmie Vaughan Strat after a long period of curiosity, and reading about it on this and other forums. (Damn forums). ;) My current Strat is Ok, but it's time for a change. Assuming I like the JV when it arrives and I keep it, I was considering a little humbucker project with my current Strat. I would like to hear about the best route to go as far as converting this into a double humbucker guitar. Are there any Strat size 'buckers that will do the job or are full size pups the way to go? Or, is it going to still sound Strat like no matter what? I'm not naive enough to expect LP tones but would like something fat and singing. Well maybe not singing since I'm the one playing it, but you get the drift. :D Thanks!

Steve

2. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

There are a number of fine single sized 'buckers from various makers.
    Best advice is to listen to as many as you can, and perhaps less to the hype
    No single size will nail the tone of a traditional side by side 'bucker due to the narrower string sensing. Some come very close.

Here is a taste of what the Dimarzio ProTrack PAF voiced pup can sound like in a strat
    Audio Clip

Here is the more throaty Tone Zone S This is in a mahogany melody maker, but I guess you get an idea.
    Audio clip John Findlay's Ray Ave

Harry Jacobson
    Dimarzio endorser / user
    www.harryj.net

3. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I have a MIM strat that I converted to a HH guitar. If you go full size in the neck the route may need to be enlarged. I used a mill because it's what I had access to. It turned out nice. I prefer the HH to any other combo because I like a bridge for hard rock and neck humbucker for most anything else. You may want to coil tap the pair too because a neck single sound is nice. Also you may need to deepen the routes to accomodate the long ear vintage style pickups. Some pups have long ears but most modern pups have short ones. It just depends on the design, just make sure you know whats what. I'll have to go back and add the deeper route to make the neck pup work right.

The guitar is a MIM with MJ frets, Sperzel locking tuners, Wilkinson Bridge, Custom Custom bridge pup, and a Gibson 496R in the neck, but with a A2 Mag instead of the ceramic mag.

[​IMG]

4. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Remember to get an "F" spaced humbucker for the bridge.

5. SFW

SFW Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, but BBQLS1 what was involved in the wilky conversion?

6. OhioEric

OhioEric Member

BBQSL1- That guitar is sweet. That blue pearloid pickguard looks great on the black body.

7. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

It won't really matter unless you have a floyd. The vintage bridges aren't really that much wider.

8. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Drilling two holes for the dowels. You'll need a drill press and secure the body down because the holes are not perfectly centered to the outside screw holes for the six post vintage style bridge. Also, if the wilky has a short spring block (like mine), you will need to clean out a little clearance in the trem cavity in the back. Otherwise, I just took a black sharpie and colored the old holes so they weren't so visable. Eventually, I'll probably drill and dowel the holes and repaint the body, but first I need to decide if I'll put a floyd on it. I've just always wanted a floyd strat ala Ritchie Sambora.