Converting Stratocaster 6 point trem to 2 point?

Infi-del

Hi all. I have a MIM Strat that has a 6 point trem that I want to convert to American Standard 2 point. Is it as easy as enlarging the two outside holes and installing the bushing for the trem posts... or would I need to fill those holes and have new ones drilled for proper spacing? I know there are a lot of folks that swear by the 6 point... I'm not interested in why I shouldn't convert it. If you like the 6 point... that's awesome. I'm asking what is involved in converting the 6 point to 2 point. I've already made up mind that this is happening.

XSSIVE

D'Avanzo Guitars
Gold Supporting Member
On a MIM strat you'll have to dowel the outer holes and drill for the bushings since the 2pt bushings are spaced slightly wider than the MIM outer screw spacing (they align with a wider spaced USA vintage trem).

megawzrd

Silver Supporting Member
Pretty sure MIM standard outer hole spacing and American standard stud spacing do not line up if I recall correctly. You would have to drill, dowel, drill for bushing, install bushing, install posts, install trem.

Fools errand if you ask me...but well you are not asking.

Russ73

Just get supervee, I think that's what its called, there are great replacement bridges for the 6 point trem, Floyd rose has a ne one I believe as well that's a replacement.....

Infi-del

No can do on another body. This is a Roland ready strat already routed for a gk pickup.

Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and drill and dowel the body and let my luthier install the new studs.

Hi all. I have a MIM Strat that has a 6 point trem that I want to convert to American Standard 2 point. Is it as easy as enlarging the two outside holes and installing the bushing for the trem posts... or would I need to fill those holes and have new ones drilled for proper spacing? I know there are a lot of folks that swear by the 6 point... I'm not interested in why I shouldn't convert it. If you like the 6 point... that's awesome. I'm asking what is involved in converting the 6 point to 2 point. I've already made up mind that this is happening.
No, you don't really. Want to switch them. So long as a 2 post or narrow 6 screw bridge are each set up right, the amount of difference isn't worth a darn. With all due respect you're just mistaken. The best way to do a switch is to borrow a 2 post body. You'll discover soon enough you've been wasting your time. I've got about 50/50 in my Fender Strats; about the least important difference these guitars have IMO.

krusty1053

Platinum Supporting Member
TBH, I've never really liked the 6 point trems, but I have owned a couple of PRS that had them, and learned to set them up properly without damaging anything. In the past, I have also owned Strats with 2 point trems, and at this point, I am perfectly happy with either. The 6 point functions every bit as well as the 2 point if properly set up. I recently purchased a CL project that featured a 6 point Gotoh trem, and I am quite happy to keep it.

Starshine

No can do on another body. This is a Roland ready strat already routed for a gk pickup.

Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and drill and dowel the body and let my luthier install the new studs.
It will be way easier to get a body with the 2 point bridge configuration and rout for the pickup than convert a 6 hole bridge to 2. Seriously, it's going to be way difficult and you likely won't be happy with the results.

Starshine

This is a very interesting point. In a softer wood body, the 6 point trem may deform the wood less over time.
Ha, I'd already edited that out of my reply because I'm not quite sure how likely it is, but I think it's definitely a possibility. You'd have to look at the routing under the 6 holes and see if it is as thick as you need for the 2 studs. Routing for different bridge styles can be quite different.

scolfax

Silver Supporting Member
Correct me if I'm wrong: don't some people just loosen the middle 4 screws and functionally end up with a 2-point?

Infi-del

Ha, I'd already edited that out of my reply because I'm not quite sure how likely it is, but I think it's definitely a possibility. You'd have to look at the routing under the 6 holes and see if it is as thick as you need for the 2 studs. Routing for different bridge styles can be quite different.
I'll make sure to check that out. My past experience is that wood can be reinforced pretty well if you drill and dowel it well. But if memory serves that portion of the body is pretty thick.

GusFowler

Pretty sure MIM standard outer hole spacing and American standard stud spacing do not line up if I recall correctly. You would have to drill, dowel, drill for bushing, install bushing, install posts, install trem.

Fools errand if you ask me...but well you are not asking.
I think those 6 screw holes are narrow enough that they can easily be filled with tiny dowels or shaved chopsticks in wood glue. The whole operation can be done in a few minutes.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
I think those 6 screw holes are narrow enough that they can easily be filled with tiny dowels or shaved chopsticks in wood glue. The whole operation can be done in a few minutes.
True enough, but it still leaves the task of drilling the bores for the post sockets with sufficient accuracy.

Trending Topics