Converting Traynor YCV40 to YCV50BLUE?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ArthurS, Jun 26, 2005.

1. ArthurS

ArthurS Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to convert a Traynor YCV40 to an YCV50BLUE, and if so, how hard that would be? I already have an YCV40, but I like the tone of the EL34-powered 50 more. They are pretty much impossible to get over here, though, and as a mere college student I'd financially prefer it if I could simply mod the 40.

The YCV50 is based on the 40 and the schematics (YCV40 here, YCV50 here) look very similar with only minor differences, but I'm not an expert, so I'd really appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable could chime in.

Thanks!

2. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

The good news is they use the same power and output trannsformers. Just perusing the two, you are in luck.
    Print both layouts, schematics, parts lists and identify what is different between the two amps.

Make a list of what it is and where it is, then post it here.
    I don't think anyone will do your leg work for you.

But that will be a good start.

Also, how good are you with electronicss, soldering,
    desoldering on circuit boards? If not, better to send
    it to a tech over there and have them do the work.

Good luck and keep us informed.

3. ArthurS

ArthurS Member

Thanks for the reply! I will start comparing the two and post back here, no need for anyone to do the leg work for me ;)

I'm reasonably good with soldering; I have done some work on pedals and have fixed an uncle's TV once. I have never opened the amp though, because as I understand, you have to drain capacitors first or risk being electrocuted?

Anyway, I first want to find out what mods need to be done, then I'll decide if I'll have a shot myself or have someone else do it for me. Thanks again!

4. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I had Traynor do this mod for me on my YCV40. Since I play at moderate volumes I like the clean channel much better with the MV. Plus, it got rid of the annoying hiss/static in the clean channel, unless you turn the master up to 7 or more. The only weird thing is that now the level of the reverb is tied to the level of the master volume.

5. ArthurS

ArthurS Member

(UconnJack:) It would be great if you could e-mail me the MV mod! I might start with that first, see how I like it. :)

]The 6L6-to-EL34-mod: according to Traynor, all this takes is changing R78 from 39K to 22K.

David-R: you mean that the amount of reverb increases as you turn up the volume and vice versa? Is it supposed to work like that?

The YCV50Blue is apparently also voiced a bit darker so there's bound to be some other changes between them, but I haven't been able yet to fully compare the schematics of both.

6. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Yes. The amount of reverb increases or decreases with the level of the MV. Not sure if it's supposed to be this way. It is not this way on my YCV50.

7. TomC

TomC Member

I just finished doing the master volume mod to my YCV-40.

Love the difference. Still wish that I could get the drive channel to sound right to my ears.

The reason I'm posting is that I am not having the problem with the master volume tying into the reverb level.

Tom C

8. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Hey, sorry to dredge up an ancient topic, but I emailed Traynor about the master volume mod and they wouldn't tell me about it (due to warranty considerations they said).

If anyone can post or send the schematic, I'd greatly appreciate it. You can email it direct to

jcarter003 AT Northwestern DOT com
    :BEER

9. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I know this is an old topic but I was also wondering if anybody has the YCV40 to YCV50 mod. I've done the EL34 mod, but I'm interested in adding the MV. Thanks.

10. tazman

tazman Member

Hi everyone. I just got a YCV40 and like the amp but would like to improve the distortion a bit. I have never played a ycv50blue, but from what I am reading the distortion is better on that amp.

I am thinking about KT77's in mine since there are a couple of place son lne that sell them specifically for the YCV40.

My question is, do I need to change the resistor as stated above? If so, I was looking at the parts lst and mine does not have a 39K resistor. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    RC

11. theleftfoot

theleftfoot Member

hey guys,

after a couple of years.....i want to ask, if there're still some traynor YCV40 or YCV50 user?

when yes, it will be fine, if we can go futher with this threrad....

cheers raffa

12. tazman

tazman Member

Still playing it.

13. theleftfoot

theleftfoot Member

hey tazman,

since 2 week i'm own the YCV40...and the amp is gorgeous!

did you made any mods?

i'm thinking about to put EL34 or KT77 in it...

what kind of tubes did you run?

cheers raffa

14. slaterzzz

slaterzzz Member

I have been scouring the net for the last week or so and have had no luck finding any details on the Master Volume mod for the YCV40. I know my way around a circuit board and have compared the schematics of the YCV40 to the YCV50. I see what is different between the two, but I am looking to know what need to be changed to only do the MV mod. There are some components on the output transformer on the YCV50 that I am not sure about. Hopefully someone has some info.....

15. pross

pross Member

Hey if you download either the ycv40 or ycv 50 service manual/schematics from the traynor website they clearly show the differences between the 2 amps. no thinking is necessary. i am actually looking at picking up a used ycv of some sort.
    i tried both out at a local music store and i liked the 40's clean and the 50's dirt (but it wasn't great a little too compressed). i think i could do without the master volume adn would prefer the presence control. anyway i want to mod the dirt channel of the 40 if i can find one but was wondering if anyone had tried to make it a higher gain less compressed sounding. the first stage of the amp (common to both channels) has a 22uf i believe cathode bypass making a nice fenderish clean channel but i think the dirt suffers due to the excess bass get through. any ideas.