Convince me I should stop drinking Coca Cola ...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GottaPracticeMore, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Ps28

Ps28 Member

If you're fat stop drinking it. If you're in shape have as much as you like.

GottaPracticeMore likes this.
  2. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Some researchers are referring to AD as “type 3 diabetes” ...

GottaPracticeMore and PLX like this.
  3. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

For some people it will mess up their digestive system. For others, it will cause no negative side effects whatsoever.

4. LarryWallwart

LarryWallwart Member

I will say that I went for over a year without drinking soda. Once I had a soda, I wanted another. Then I was drinking 2 or 3 a day. Just stop.

5. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

Why drink Coke when you can drink beer? :huh:dunno:drink:drink:drink:drink:drink

6. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

If you're serious, you'll read the above from @time2kill Endless articles and books that outline the destruction, but most people don't want to pay any attention and addicted to the sweets. I stopped drinking soda in general 25+ years ago, just way too sweet for me. A little bit of sweet tea mixed with unsweet is as far as I'll go, occasionally. Let alone Diet stuff which is programmed to lock into those pleasure receptors so you'll drink more and more and more; hey, no calories, what could go wrong?!? If I were to drink any Diet Coke my head would explore, aspartame gives me a major headache (hint-hint-hint!).

Drink water and enjoy your life for longer, in better health with no side effects. Good luck.

GottaPracticeMore and time2kill like this.
  7. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

When I was younger, I was addicted to Coke to the point I think I was having withdrawal symptoms when I quit. My parents decided they weren't going to have it in the house anymore and as much as I liked it, I knew it was the right thing to do. I was also drinking probably at least 6 cans a day! That ain't good! I'd probably puke if I tried that now.

I got hooked on sweet tea when I moved to NC, that was another tough habit to break. I did the diet thing a bit but decided to cut that out to. I drink mostly water and some occasional unsweetened tea. If I could get my eating habits that good, is be in great shape. Junk food is a habit I've Yet to totally break. I have quit for a good while several times but it seems to keep creeping back up on me.

GottaPracticeMore, Simto and Drew816 like this.
  8. thecornman

thecornman Member

I won't tell anyone what they should or should not do, but Cola is garbage and does nothing, but make people fat! My lady and I used to drink a fair bit of it as mix with our rye. We both cut back our drinking to next to nothing about 6 months ago and both of us lost a whole bunch of weight after doing so. Probably a combination of the booze and the cola, but we like the result and won't be going back.

9. Stike

Stike Member

If you really care about your health I would think getting off your sofa and exercising would be #1? :dunno:munch:waiting:hide

What if you live in Flint Michigan?

I've been here since 1975. When I stopped soda I also stopped sweet tea, the first one I had after awhile of not having any was kind of jarring. You could put that sh!t on pancakes it seemed so sweet.

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I changed almost nothing in my diet or exercise routine a few years ago when I stopped drinking cola. I dropped 25 lbs and have never gotten close to putting it back on. Hell I still eat chocolate and potato chips and Burger King and don’t go to the gym. So I guess cola really was doing a number on me.

11. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

I've had medical professionals tell me that it is healthier to have a beer than a soda. I sneak maybe 2-3 per week, and I don't feel great about it, but it is an indulgence. At home, I switched to seltzer a long time ago. Sometimes I will throw a splash of juice with the seltzer, and it tastes really good. The ill effects of soda include bone loss, high blood sugar, water retention, tooth decay, and I am probably leaving out a few. So basically it will rot your teeth, make you fat, and then kill you... but have a smile, coca-colaaaaa.

12. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Director of the 2019 Like Farming Initiative Gold Supporting Member

I love Coke but only have it when I go out to eat which isn't often. I never buy it to bring home. I make my own iced sweetened with just a touch of honey. Usually green tea, mint or hibiscus. Coke is a good habit to break and artificially sweetened drinks are for the willfully ignorant.

13. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

I’ve been in A&E (ER) three times because of Atrial Fibrillation brought on by the excessive amounts of caffeine in it. We didn’t know what it was until the 3rd time. I stay away from it and other energy type drinks now. They’re dangerous.

14. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

15. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

I’d rather my kids have ice cream than soda
    If you’re gonna have sweets in moderation, I think there are better choices

16. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

That's funny. My cousin is a nurse and was working an overnight shift in the ER when Rod Stewart was rushed in after collapsing on stage...
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/coca-cola-acids/

17. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

This man drinks at least 5 cans of Coca Cola per day. He not only is a pretty healthy 88 year old, he is a multi billionaire. Coincidence?
    [​IMG]

18. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I've been hearing that - it's an interesting supposition - and may help us find the causality of the disease.

19. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

No it's pure genetic luck of the draw. It's the same as the urban myths about the 95 year old woman - who smoke 2 packs a day and drink a quart of gin to top of the smoking. Those people are just extremely lucky in life.

GottaPracticeMore, MrSteve and rizla like this.
  20. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

You could try this: pour about 1/4 cola to 3/4 water and ice. May seem strange at first, but it's actually a FAR more refreshing beverage.
    When I mix with rye or rum, just hardly a splash of cola, water/ice to fill.