Convince me I should stop drinking Coca Cola ...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GottaPracticeMore, Jun 18, 2019.

1. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

We all live downstream from each other and everything is connected.

Anyone drinking some of the hideous amounts of soda each day every day as posted here is driving all our health care costs and insurance premiums through the roof. So...thanks.

GottaPracticeMore and Timcito like this.
  2. wetordry

wetordry Member

Mountain Dew has more caffeine.

GottaPracticeMore likes this.
  3. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

just had a checkup last week. all good, as usual. healthy lungs for a regular smoker as well.

i don't think the amount of Pepsi that i drink is making any difference whatsoever in your health care costs and insurance premiums. blame the fat guys. ;)

wetordry likes this.
  4. shane8

shane8 Member

drink em if ya got em

5. Nuclear Plexi

Nuclear Plexi Member

That's amazing.
    How are you feeling?

6. tonewoody

tonewoody Member

High grade your intake.

Custom Shop Coke or nothing for me these days....

7. 71strat

71strat Member

Other than a few orthopedic, and neurological problems, I feel great. I love to workout, and have been exercising since 1978. That's when I started watching what I ate.
    I used to drink, smoke, shoot dope, and in 76 quit smoking cigs ( tired of not being able to breathe......3 packs of Kools a day ) Od'd in July 1976 on 95 units 1:1000 Epinephrine shot, and stopped doing all drugs except weed, and still would drink.
    In Oct 77 I got real drunk/sick/OD ( 12 boilermakers in an hour ) at a buddies bachelor party, and we also smoked a bunch really good gold Colombian. So I quit drinking, and in Feb 78 started running, and watching what I ate.
    I started reading Muscle Power Builder, which is now Muscle, and Fitness. I got all of Arnold S, and Franco Colombu's training programs, and also started lifting weights, and doing many bodyweight exercises. Arnolds first 6 months program is No Weights. Bodyweight only, though it was tough.
    It incorporated Handstand Pushups, of which I still do, and have always done them I will be 61 in Nov, and can still 23 reps in 1 set, or 5 sets of 10, with 1 minutes 30 seconds rest for each set.

I also cant keep training partners. I run guys half my age off. I also still run 20-40 miles a week. Many people that lift weights don't like to run, and many runners hate to lift. Most liftrs that run, only do so to lose weight. I LOVE to run, and when I was younger, the farther, the better. When I was younger in the 80s I ran Marathons, and Ultras. 30+ miles. My wife has run a 53 miler last year in 11 hours 56 minutes, though she is 16 years younger than me. My best marathon was 2 hours 38 minutes in 1982 Columbus Marathon.

I can do 15 THUMBS ONLY Pushups, with Fingers Extended. NO Making a Fist. 30 1 arm Finger Pushups.

I once won $500 on a bet I couldn't do even 5 of them. I took his money.
    1 time we had a carpenter working on our house in the early 80s. He was a small guy. 5"5, and around 125lbs. I was talking about working out, and he told me when he ws in the Army, that during boot camp, the DI said anyone that can do a 2 hands, INDEX/Pointer Finger Pushup, they could have a weekend pass.
    He was the only 1 that could do them.

He also proved it to me, and did a few. He also smoked cigs.

A lot of it is genetic. Im same height, and weigh 150lbs, and a large frame. He had a very small frame, but was deceivingly strong in his hands, and fingers.
    I couldn't do them, but I could do thumb pushups the 1st time I ever tried them in 79.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  8. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

that's what i'm hoping for. is there any way that i can up my chances? i've been waiting forever. :mad:

sounds like a bunch of bs though, who believes any of those statistics?

9. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

geez, ya think? o_O

all because you haven't had soda since '78, i'm sure. that's awesome.

[​IMG]

10. 71strat

71strat Member

Try some Meth??:banana:crazyguy:crazy:munch

Type 2 diabetes

In a European study, the risk for developing type 2 diabetes more than doubled for participants in the highest quartile of diet beverage consumption, compared with non-consumers. Of course, sugar-sweetened beverage consumption was also associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. Data from the Nurses' Health Study also indicated that risk for type 2 diabetes was amplified in those consuming at least one diet drink or sugar-sweetened drink per day; the same evidence was found by a European investigation into cancer and nutrition. Importantly, a pronounced spike in the risk of type 2 diabetes related to drinking artificially-sweetened beverages was seen even in those participants who were at a normal weight at the start of the study.

Hypertension and Cardiovascular Disease

Within given age groups, the risk for coronary heart disease was significantly elevated in those who consumed more than two artificially-sweetened beverages per day or more than two sugar-sweetened beverages per day. Similarly, another study shows the risk of coronary heart disease was significantly elevated by both types of drinks. Consuming at least one artificially-sweetened beverage daily significantly elevated risk for hypertension in a number of studies; the same effect was found when people in the study drank sugar-sweetened beverages. Results from another study indicated that daily consumption of artificially-sweetened beverages showed significantly increased risk of vascular events, equal in magnitude to daily consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages.

Drinking diet soda is associated with a 50-percent increase in stroke risk, according to a study presented earlier this month at the American Stroke Association's International Stroke Conference in Los Angeles.

11. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

12. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Surely a gallon of Wild Turkey 101 in every other tank of gas won't hurt anything...... right?

Same thing.....

13. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Well, pour some on some rust and see what happens!

14. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

You should see what your stomach acid will do.

15. desire machine

desire machine Member

Good theoretical argument... however, what I said was spoken from experience. Ever since I went a few weeks w/o drinking soda several yrs ago, I can't stand how bloated soda makes me. Also it made me significantly skinnier. I still consume sugar through other means as well as greasy junk food.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    GottaPracticeMore and Vintage_ like this.
  16. desire machine

desire machine Member

I think it has a similar effect. The difference is prob that people who drink beer tend to do more binge drinking. It's not unsual to drink more than 6 beers continuously w/o breaking and to get a beer gut you need to be averaging multiple beers daily.. whereas soda prob people don't more than 2 cans at a time. The bloatedness from soda I think is more singificantly felt by the person cutting it off soda, than it would be to an outsider.

Go a week or 2 w/o soda and see if you notice a difference.

17. CaptainCrunch137

CaptainCrunch137 Member

Pepsi is weak! Well I can drink either or but I feel like Pepsi is a little to sweet and not as acidic. I know it's not good for you but there is nothing like that strong acid taste and feeling coke gives you.

18. Stike

Stike Member

Yes but you're consuming less sugar. I drink plain seltzer water all the time and don't have any bloating or weight gain problems.

19. desire machine

desire machine Member

I'm not disagreeing that sugar is the main unhealthy aspect of soda, and soda for many is one of their biggest source of intake of sugar and easiest to cut back on...however, carbon dioxide alone I find to have a major effect on my body from personal experience. Seltzer for me will make me feel bloated, gassy, and unpleasant, and I feel healthier w/o it. The fact that I immediately feel bloated and horrible after drinking a single glass of soda is obviously not a result of sugar intake. Feeling bloated and having gas... isn't harmful to your health, at least not directly/significantly (unlike high sugar intake), but it is unpleasant. Being healthy isn't just about making sure you don't die... it's about being comfortable, it's about quality of life... and not cutting out carbon dioxide I find immensely improves my quality of life, such that the tiny enjoyment from a lil bit of fizzly soda is totally not worth it and no longer appealing. Not consuming carbonation I find will also help to give you a slimmer waistline. Again not something critical to your health (esp compared to sugar intake), but something that will help to give you a better quality of life and thus make it worthwhile not to drink soda.

I point out the benefits of eliminating carbonation intake because they alone make it worthwhile to eliminate soda completely from your diet.

Reducing sugar is more complex and difficult than reducing carbon dioxide. Body craves sugar and you do need some sugar. Whereas I don't see any advantage to consuming carbon dioxide and I do personally find it unpleasant to my wellbeing. So aiming to cut out soda for the purpose of getting stopping consumption of carbon dioxide is much easier to achiever than simply cutting back on sugar. And it will likely have the effect of reducing sugar intake. Sugar reduction isn't a strong motivation for eliminating soda consumption... you still need sugar and sugar is highly enjoyable, so if sugar is your only and main reason for cutting back on soda, you're likely to still drink some soda. However, if your motivation is because you don't want to feel bloated and gassing and you want to have a slimmer waistline from not consuming any carbonation.. then you'll easily cut soda out completely... and actually likely be more effective at reducing sugar intake than you would be if you aimed to reduce sugar by reducing soda consumption just some.

I think when it comes to health, diet and exercise. It's important to be smart and think about what are actually effective motivations and approaches to a healthy lifestyle. For instance rather than aiming to cut out certain foods.... it's much more efffective to focus on eating as many healthy foods as you can and do aim to cut anything out (w/ soda being my one exception and alcohol if you've got a prob w/ it). If you eat more healthy fruits and vegtables you'll naturally consume less junk food. If you allow yourself to eat sugary foods and aim to cut out soda for the purpose of reducing carbonation (something your body doesn't crave) it will be easy to cut out soda completely and you'll probably reduce your sugar intake more effectively than if you were aiming to cut back on sugar.

If you want to exercise... don't force it... find activities that you enjoy that will naturally cause you to get in shape. Also go about things in the positive way. I don't drink soda because I feel so much better when I don't. .... ok my rants over. I'm done with the internet for ..ever. I'm sick of ranting on forums. I try not to be judgemental of others or preachy irl.. and if I'm in a period like I am now when I don't get to spend time w/ anyone I chew the fat w/ I keep everything inside and end up going on random rants online if I spend time on a forum like this. hope what I wrote makes sense, I'm not going to bother proofreading. Good luck, best of health whatever you guys decide diet wise. Everyone's got their own vices... I feel it's easy for me to complain about other people's diets cause food isn't one of mine. I'm more into sex drugs and rock and roll than cupcakes and cocacola. Anyway, keep rocking on. Peace Love Respect

20. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

I absolutely loved Coke when I was younger. ~2000ish I decided to cut it out(I've resumed drinking certain root beers in recent years and got into Sierra Mist for a little while). Years after that I drank a Coke at some point and it seriously was completely disgusting. Maybe it was either my taste buds or something else changed but wow whatever was going on there pretty much reaffirmed my decision to leave it alone entirely.