1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Convince me not to get an OCD.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jonlarsen002, Feb 6, 2008.

1. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Alright.... so about a year ago I listened to the wrong person and bought a Boss Blues Driver thinking it was the holy grail of pedals.

Since then, I've asked a lot of people and they steered me toward the Fulldrive2 for low/medium overdrive applications (and I like it and find it fairly versatile).

Now I want to get some more gain for harder applications that the Fulldrive can't handle... I've been considering the Fulltone OCD. Would you have any reason to convince me otherwise?

By the way, I can't afford a $400 OD pedal at this point.

(p.s. There is a side of me that wishes there were more tone controls and possibly a boost channel on the OCD. Is that a dumb notion?)

2. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

A tad too much bass on the V2, which is fixed in the V3

3. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

I had alot of People who said..."You won't like it"...I said "If it is good enough for Robin Trower and Audley Freed" then it is good enough for me"..".Equipment is like women...what makes some gag, makes other drool"....:messedup

4. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

If this were Harmony Central, you'd be getting comments like "Well, as long as your equipment can make a woman-" Uh, you can do the math on this one. :crazy *awaits the wrath of Dr. Tweedbucket*

Seriously, jonlarsen002, don't buy the OCD. Pedals are like art - only buy pedals that you absolutely must have. If you don't know that you must have the pedal, you can probably do without it.

5. gkg123

gkg123 Member

It's all subject to taste, of course, but ...

I bought an OCD because I was really tired of playing the "which overdrive is for me" game. Actually, the first day I had it, I didn't really like it. My first impression was "this doesn't do anything any of my other pedals do".

It grew on me fast. I realized that it does what all the other pedals do, and does it better, and does it all in one pedal. It's really versatile - I can get pretty heavy overdrive distortion out of it, marshally / hendrixy tones out of it, ts-9ish SRV tones out of it, etc.

I play mine with a mayer strat into a super reverb, and it's heavenly. I still use my ts-9 for a solo boost (nothing really replaces that, IMO) but I doubt I'll ever want / need another overdive pedal now that I have the OCD. I would highly recommend getting one.

6. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

But how can you know you absolutely must have it if you don't have the ability to demo one?

7. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Buy one. If you don't like it....sell it. They hold their value well....especially here in the emporium.

It's the pedal I've had on my board the longest (3 years, besides my TU-2). It's definetly not the end-all OD pedal, but I'm always glad I've kept it around when I get a chance to use it. When I don't use it....I'm using my Barber Direct Drive.

8. brianf

brianf Member

I have all the current production Fulltone O/D's (I think). From the way you are talking get the GT500 vrs the OCD. It has lots of knobs and a boost channel. I think it is vastly superior to the OCD.

I don't get your question though. "Convince me not to get and OCD" Did you mean Convince me to get an OCD????

brianf

9. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I love this. I am going to buy pedals like art from now on...(now I need $400.00 dollars)
    :D:D:D

10. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Buy a used one and flip it if you don't like it.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
  12. dano73327

dano73327 Member

I tried a version 2 and bought a version 3. The 2 sounded better to me but I still like the 3, though maybe not enough to keep it. The place I ordered mine from gave me a 45 day satisfaction guarantee so if I dont' like it I just ship it back for a refund.
    It probably depends on what you play. I have a 74 LP custom that sounds great through the OCD into my Marshall Plexi but I don't really like the sound of my strat with texas specials through it.
    However I bought the Xotic BB preamp and it sounds really good with either guitar and if I use it for more of an eq'd boost, through the OCD it really wakes up the OCD pedal.

Best thing you can do is order one and try it, if you don't like it then return it.

But check out the BB preamp pedal, it's under 200 and I think it sounds great. It doesn't quite have the range of sounds and gain that the OCD has but sounds great all the same.

13. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

if the fulldrive isn't doing it for harder applications, i don't think the OCD is your answer. I have V3 and even though there's a good amount of gain i still consider it an overdrive pedal.

If you want more gain, you might want to consider a crunchbox.

14. 89strat

89strat Member

I really didn't want to buy into the hype surrounding the OCD but it really sounds good no matter where I set it. I have the version 3. I had the GT-500 because I wanted the boost thing also. But I just couldn't get what I was looking for out of the distortion side. So instead I use an OCD with a Sparkle drive after it for a boost. Great combination. If you get the OCD, keep the Blues driver. The blues driver sounds killer as a lead boost with the OCD. I had that combo prior to the sparkle drive. The OCD gets pretty heavy, but it's not a fuzz and it's not a distortion. However, I'm in a cover band and have no problem using it for foo fighters stuff, and basic classic rock stuff or anywhere a classic marshall type overdrive is needed. It's not a marshall in a box, but it does have the british flavor to it. If you're looking for a "fourteen-year-old in a Guitarcenter on mesa-stack on a Saturday morning" sound, this ain't it.

But, being as you want me to convince you not to buy it, here goes. If you don't want the amp-like compression, sweet sustain, and smooth singing midrange that seems to effortlessly jump off the fretboard, then don't get it!

If your looking for dull tone from another mass produced pedal, than the OCD isn't for you.

If you don't like the idea of hot girls throwing their under-thingies up on stage once you launch into another tsunami of searing tonal destruction, then be gone, I have no more use for you!

15. RDM

RDM Senior Member

FWIW, I tried the BD-2 with an OCD and dumped the BD-2. I lost too much bass when I used it as a boost. The Monte mod helped some....but not much.

16. KennethC

KennethC Member

The OCD is my go-to pedal for low-med gain crunch and for bluesy-breakup riffs when I use my low-output single coils strat. Seriously, I bought one and sold it, then several mths later I realised my folly and bought another one - I love it to bits.

17. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

OCD's are lame and don't sound very natural. Get a Keeley or similar mod Rat or Barber Direct Drive for $150.

18. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

don't get an OCD, hope that helps you....

19. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

OCD didn't work at all for me...
    But then again, I simply don't resonate with that SRV type of edge it provides ...

20. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

It's stayed on my board longer than any other, and I've had Keeleys, Klons, and everything in between-I've got V2, and it's not for sale, unless someone wants to pay stupid money....:AOK