Convince me that I need a Timmy.. and that my Red Snapper doesn't make it redundant

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TooManyHobbies, Dec 18, 2009.

1. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

My setup is as follows:

Various guitars (too many to list)>Pedalboard> split A/B > Blues Jr (set clean), Aiken Invader (Plexi clone, set pretty clean)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Depends on what you're using the Snapper for, and if you're primarily using your amp clean or somewhat dirty.

3. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Primarily set pretty clean. I use the snapper to give me that sorta entering crunch sound, but it sounds like a 10/10 on the Fender, but only an 8.5 on the Aiken.

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Thanks - that's helpful.

I think they're somewhat similar, with the Snapper having a finer 'grain' to the gain sound, and the Timmy having a grittier character to the gain sound. Through a clean amp, which is what I use, I preferred the Snapper because the Timmy was a bit too gritty for me, and the Snapper cleans up more smoothly without any little pops or spits. But as a booster into a dirty amp, the Timmy was better I feel, as it added some edge and clarity to the overdriving amp which was really nice.

Just my 2 cents!

5. bozobreak

bozobreak Member

My setup is Ibanez JSM100>Menatone Red Snapper>Timmy>Fender SFPR
    I set the Timmy as a clean booster with gain at 9-10, adjusting the treble and base depending how hard I'm pushing it with Red Snapper. RS's gain is 'round midnight.
    Using just one of them I couldn't get a good medium lead od.
    But stacked together I can achieve a powerful lead tone.
    My amp is very picky with the od pedals, it's really hard for me to find a good od. box for lead. For now this setup works great.

6. keto

keto Member

I use a CC TOD v1 (SORRY AGAIN, PAUL) and a Red Snapper on my board...primarily into an old HiWatt 50. So, if you will accept that as equivalent, I will tell you that yes the TOD is crunchier, the RS has a rounder smoother character to it's drive, and really not as much drive.

I like em reverse of the poster above, that is, I like the RS for a clean or *weee little bit* of hair boost, and the TOD with somewhat more. To me, they don't at all sound the same.....but if you have limited space (I don't, I'm a home hack with a gigantic board) you could very well say they are redundant....same ballpark of gain. But gain turned up, I MUCH prefer the TOD over the RS, which gets either too compressed for my liking or wayy too sharp and spikey with the bite up/cut down. I personally can't find the middle ground on that pedal (again, with the gain past say noon or 1). But as a clean(ish) boost, it sounds fantastic, very clear and "your amp only more".

The TOD has a great "smooth yet crunchy" quality to its gain, which works well for me.

7. PaulC

PaulC Member

Don't worry about it - I'm used to it...

Regards, PaulC
    Tim/Timmy pedals
    myspace.com/paulcaudio

8. timryan257

timryan257 Supporting Member

I use a Red Snapper and a Timmy as my two OD pedals, the Red Snapper for a low to mid gain crunch for rhythm when I need it and the Timmy for solos. Sometimes the two together. I find they complement each other nicely and combine well too. I think the Red Snapper is a nice transparent pedal, I can hear the amp tone well. The Timmy is very versatile, and sounds great with my cranked Champ. A nice combo. Get the Timmy, keep the Snapper

9. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i agree. great combo together. i don't think it would be redundant having both of them on any amp setup.

10. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I've heard that the Timmy sounds superior into a Marshall vs a RS, which may sound better into Fenders. Is this generally true?

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Not in my experience.

12. Steven

Steven Member

I cannot compare the Timmy with a RS cous I´ve never tried a RS but me for one is convinced that you need a Timmy. IMO we all do. Its that good.

13. rabbit

rabbit Member

Hope you guys don´t mind me chiming in here with a specific question:

I´ve been a Red Snapper user for years now and love it, I use it for a slight volumen boost with added grit/break up as well as for medium gain. I also own an RC Booster (similar application except for the medium gain part).

Now I have the opportunity getting a Timmy from a fellow forum member. Would it be redundant to own all three of them and why?

(I love the RS and RC and wouldn´t want to part with them... the RC maybe?!)

Higher gain territory is covered by a BB Preamp and Menatone King of the Britains so I´d want the Timmy for clean boost/ light od.

Thanks for your help!!!!

EDIT: I just notice that I managed to achieve my 700th post (in almost 6 years that is!). Congrats to me :facepalm: :D

14. The Kid

The Kid Member

Haha, I love it.

15. rabbit

rabbit Member

Timmy <-> Red Snapper <-> RC Booster

Can anyone help here? I´m trying to find out whether the Timmy can substitute the RC and thus provide more gain on tap when needed. What I like about the RC is the "sparkle" that it adds to the tone as well as the active tone controls. I know that the Timmy´s tone controls work a bit differently but do they cover the same ground?

I read some threads about those pedals and of course some people say that they are very similar, other point out that there´s a significant difference between the two. I´m confused :confused:!

It´s weird, I´ve read so many threads about Tim/Timmy over the past years but still don´t get the idea what they actually sound like and especially, what the differences are in comparison to other pedals!

16. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

Best way to describe the tim/timmy's sound is your amp just being pushed harder and or louder then you can eq to taste. Other OD's tend to add a flavour / color to the sound.

Which is great if you like your amp and want a dirt that sound like it is working harder.

But it is not the sort of pedal that will make your fender amp sound like a marshall etc.

I love the Tim, but also use an OD9 for a different tone.

Cheers

BMF

17. rabbit

rabbit Member

Thanks, BadMelonFarmer,

That´s great news cause that´s exactly what I like about the RC Booster, its transparency while adding a little bit of "something" which isn´t a colouration towards a totally different tonal territory.

18. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

No problem my friend:beer

19. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Listen to demos of both on youtube or whatever, and compare.

You already know what the RS sounds like, so comparing that with the Tim/Timmy demos online shouldn't be too tough. Hell, just get a Timmy and check it out for yourself. You'll get different colors of low-medium OD, and then you can decide whether you want to keep both around, or put one on the Emporium. Maybe one will fit the bill for Low gain, and the other for medium. Stacked em together, and you may hit tonal Nirvana.

It's a great time to be a guitar player.

20. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

I have owned an original 3 knob Red Snapper and a Tim. I now own a 4 knob Snapper. I will NEVER get rid of the 4 knob Snapper. Seriously........