Convince Me - Vibe Placement

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Last Nerve, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Since I first got my MagicBoy vibe I've had it first in line in the signal chain. Saw alot of people place there's there and it sounded great.
    But if I think about it, vibrato was originally an "effect" on an AMP, meaning that it would have been the last in the line in the signal chain.
    Where do you put your vibe and why??

2. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I put my vibe after wah, comp, fuzz, od, but before distortion and any other modulation.

Vibe after fuzz/distortion enhances the vibe whereas it lessens the effect if you have dirt after it.

3. justicetones

justicetones Member

I put mine after all fuzz, wah, filter, compression, OD, dist, INSERT TREM or VIBE, then modulation, and delays >>>> AMP.

:AOK

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'd put mine last after everything except delay

I generally don't have more than one modulation effect on at any one time, so I can't help you out if it should be before/after chorus or flange.

5. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

The first in line before od/distortion idea comes from the old school tone of vibe into a cranked amp. That said, there simply isn't one way to do it. Both have they're place.

6. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

Glad I stumbled on this thread. I've been trying to figure this out myself. According to Dave Hunter's book, the Vibe comes before the ODs. People in this thread have been saying to put it after the ODs. What's the benefit of putting it after?

7. justicetones

justicetones Member

I just liked the way mine sounded after the OD. That said I use it more on clean and lightly driven sounds. I may have to experiment with putting my vibe in front again just to make sure I am not missing something.:)

8. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I run my overdrive into my Megavibe, it sounds so sweet.. This is the only vibe that I could do this with, and I've tried the Deja-Vibe, Mojovibe, and Microvibe. The Megavibe has the sound and the headroom that is far better than any vibe I've tried. With the Megavibe I feel like I got something special, and I will never get rid of this pedal.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

9. justicetones

justicetones Member

WHo makes the Megavibe and where can you get them????

10. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

11. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

To Leo Fender he called tremolo "Vibrato"..Tremolo and the Magicboy (Uni)vibe are two different things...The Tremolo effect should run near the end of your effects chain yet to me Uni-vibe pedals sound best after Wah and before Overdrive pedals..

12. justicetones

justicetones Member

Agreed 100% I assumed he meant vibe as in vibrato as in VIBE- UNIVIBE. Tremolo sounds best to me also after OD's

13. improv4

improv4 Member

really depends on how yer other pedals react try some different placements and see what you like.

i run mine after the dirty stuff, because the dirt like likes to be first. I can clean up with the guitar vol. better this way.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I thought about that too when I read the original post here...that he was confusing built-in "vibrato" (i.e. tremolo) with vibes. I think maybe he was, BUT on purpose or not, there is a good point there....vibes were made originally as an attempt to simulate Leslie speakers, even though it has gone a little more away from that concept, Leslie speakers were definitely after the amp, in fact had their own amp built in, so we are back to the "if you want to recreate this, it should be later in the queu"....

Shane has me hooked on the megavibe. I haven't ordered one yet, but it IS just a matter of time...

15. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

A vibe is basically a frequency filter that moves up and down the spectrum. In this way, it works similar to a wah or a phase shifter. They both eliminate certain frequencies to achieve their effect. This means that they will radically change the sound of any other effect that comes before them. Just imagine you ran an OD into a 31 band EQ. You get the OD set just the way you like it, and then someone comes along and starts dropping sliders on the EQ all the way down. There goes your OD tone right out the window! Now that same irritating person starts playing with the EQ, running sliders up and down continuously. This is essentially what a Wah, Vibe, or Phase-shifter does. People run these filter effects first so that their OD's will sound like they are supposed to.

That being said, some people like the way these devices sound after OD's and other effects. The most common way to run effects is:

Filter type devices --> OD's --> modulation devices --> delay --> amp

That being stated, the best thing to do is experiment! one man's gold is another man's pile of doo-doo!

16. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I go magicboy vibe --> eternity --> amp

17. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

BJF Mint Green Mini Vibe > Kometcake > Honey Bee > Scary Face > SBEQ > Ibanez AD80

18. madsr

madsr Member

wah > comp > magicboy vibe > keeley ts808 > keeley bd2 > echo park > amp

19. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

'tween the legs is the best place for a vibe....according to the most credible of sources...women