convincing amp-less rig for certain situations..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by strings4v, Mar 5, 2015.

1. strings4v

strings4v Member

Some places just don't allow amps... and I think if I have an amp-less rig in my arsenal I can play at places I don't have much time to set up and tear down...
    I've accumulated some options here..

1. Amp sim pedal at the end of the chain
    cheapest solution of the bunch.. in fact I have one now. (Tech 21 character series clones..) they work well and sound decent with some verb added and what not but it doesn't feel good on the fingers..

2. Avid Eleven Rack
    Poor man's Axe fx? They sounded good in clips (direct recording) and wonder if they have better pre/DA converter than my focustrite scarlet.. if so this could be 2 birds in 1 stone.
    If I just need 1 sound.. I can just bring this and my guitar and go.

3. Torpedo CAB
    The one I encountered recently.. apparently the best cab sim in the market.
    Power amp sim looks powerful. I don't know much about it..

4. An amp head with a speaker sim direct out....?
    hmm

Which route should I take?

2. Lance

Lance Member

I find my Ethos TLE pedal's direct out, sounds great! It's a little pricey, but worth it's weight in gold for going direct.

A lot of people swear by the Palmer DI.

3. ProfG

ProfG Member

Ditto on the Ethos TLE preamp. Over the last 6 months I've picked up an amp -less gig and went this route. The Ethos sounds fantastic great through the PA (and my IEMs). Previously I was a tube amp snob, but in my opinion going direct through the Ethos gives me a better tone in the mix. It's worth noting that I'm working with knowledgeable sound men with outstanding PA systems--this might not be the case in all venues.

4. Lance

Lance Member

I've gone through direct recording rigs, or into the front end of an amp, cheapo Behringer boards into JBL Eons, etc...even into a jambox. With a digital reverb/delay pedal it sounds almost like your playing in a high end studio. I like to use a cheap Muza FD900. $100.00 at Amazon, and has four presets. I'll probably pickup another one as a backup, or to have more presets.

Oh, and the Ethos makes single coil pups sound spectacular.

5. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Which Tech 21 Character Pedal are you using? I use the British at an ampless gig with IEMs and love it. I have it set for a clean/cleanish tones, then add a dirt pedal or two, delay, reverb. Very happy with the tone and feel of that pedal.

6. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I've had mine for about 3 weeks now. Excellent option for a pedalboard only rig.

If you're comfortable hooking up a USB cable to the CAB, downloading some software to your computer, and tweaking the CAB settings with your pedals to your liking then you can get some very realistic amp sounds. The user interface in the Torpedo remote software is very intuitive, so it's not difficult to tweak and get good sounds.

If you want something to just plug and play without any tweaking/set-up required, then the CAB is not for you.

7. strings4v

strings4v Member

Would I need tweaking for different venues and such or can I tweak it at one point and leave it and use it all the time?

8. strings4v

strings4v Member

I use a Joyo clone... the vox one

9. starkd12

starkd12 Member

Never tried this, but would some sort of "amp in a box" pedal at the end of your chain plugged into a JHS colour box work? It has an xlr output

10. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

That might be part of your problem. The real tech 21 units are quite good.

11. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

I have a Torpedo Live, and it is amazing! It has revolutionized my playing in situations where I need little to no stage volume. Do yourself a favor and go with the Torpedo.

12. strings4v

strings4v Member

I don't know if I mentioned.. but they "sound" good. Real good. But something about the pedal's response is not familiar to me.. I can feel that I'm not playing through an amp. Maybe it is just one thing that I have to sacrifice if I don't wanna have my amp on stage...

13. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

Sounds like a perfect application for the Fly Rig.

14. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I used to travel with an H&K Tubeman. Worked great.

15. Gallery

Nah once you get it set up at home the only tweaking at the venue is selecting which preset speaker cabinet you want to use and the volume.

With the CAB you can travel with just a pedalboard and a guitar and plug direct into the house. It really is the best option for an amp free rig. Plus you get the advantage of being able to record at home at night silently. AND if you have a load box or attenuator with a line out (i.e.. the new Suhr reactive load) you can record your amps silently.

16. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I use an Effectrode Blackbird (Tube driven Twin pre) and the Torpedo Cab. Super convincing tone through a PA and IEM's.

17. Gallery

Recorded in 5 minutes with my Keeley Katana Blues Driver pedal into the Torpedo CAB into Garage Band. I used the Fender Blonde Bassman cabinet IR in the CAB with a 6L6 power amp model.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/gallery-4/all-your-love[/SOUNDCLOUD]