1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cool article on David Gilmour's studio in this month's TapeOp...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tonedaddy, Apr 7, 2005.

1. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Interesting story of the challenges in converting a 90' long houseboat built in 1911 (sitting on the Thames river) into a world-class recording facility.

The original/complete article (26 pages) was too long to include in the magazine, so they've made the full text available on their website:

http://www.tapeop.com/magazine/bonus/pdfs/philtaylor.pdf

2. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I read that article too. What an amazing studio/house boat! That's got to be one of my favorite TapeOp articles ever. :)

3. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I agree! I always enjoy home/project studio articles (more than commercial ones, actually) especially when they're built in unusual spaces.

4. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I love the part when he's talking about the cables where they bought that horrendously expensive cable in bulk so that they could run it all at 90 degree angles and all that stuff. I mean, it's really a testament to the human will...and pocketbook. Great interview indeed!

5. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

And a testament to trusting who has access to your pocketbook! As much as we all admire the skills of the musicians, we often forget the team that makes it possible to get an album done or get a show to start on time. What a great relationship between a musician and his tech.

I like where Gilmour tells Taylor to "just get my equipment out of storage and put it in the end room of the boat" while he's on vacation. While Gilmour's gone, Taylor moves in Gilmour's gear AND a console, AC, new glazing, acoustic work, custom racks, CCTV, wiring and cables, and Taylor never tells him a word about it!

Gilmour gets back, takes a wander around, finds Taylor and only has one question. "Well, how much did it cost?"
    :D

Taylor knew what needed to be done so PF could get working on the next album immediately. A tech that was just taking orders could have cost months in that album's schedule.

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Really cool article, probably one of the Top 5 TapeOp articles since I've been reading (about 2 yrs I think). Excellent stuff.

--chiba

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Great article, even better when you read the whole thing. Thanks for the link!

8. sandpiper

sandpiper Silver Supporting Member

Great! Thanks for that.

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

It really, really pays to be a rock star when you're building a home studio.

10. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

What a great article, a true pro set-up and the attention to detail is to be applauded.

11. Gerry

Gerry Guest

A few years back when Jeff Beck came out with 'Who Else' for the comeback, because he went broke (his words) remodeling his castle/home he talked a bit about HIS 'home studio'-
    to paraphrase, when asked if he had a home studio, he said,
    "Well, I had this little tape console setup which worked fairly well, but the rain had leaked in on the window above it for I think a long time and it wouldn't work anymore." :D

12. dash_doc

dash_doc Member

Great article, thanks for shareing it.