Cool Cat Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blue Fin, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

Is anyone here using a Cool Cat Chorus pedal? I read some good things about them and the price seems reasonable. Also, there seems to be a model CC-1 and DC-1. Are they both still made or is the DC-1 the model that's available now? Thanks.

2. telefuzzfreak

telefuzzfreak Member

I'm selling mine. Great pedal....I just am not a chorus guy.

3. dan7_69

dan7_69 Member

They're excellent pedals for the money if you like Chorus.

4. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I have the (older) DC-1. Still being made AFAIK. I never bothered to look for another chorus because if you're using chorus for just a few songs it will do just fine. Come to think of it, if I played many songs with chorus, I probably would still be using the DC-1.

5. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Yeah, according to the Danelectro website both models are still being made. I have heard good things about the new model and it has true-bypass which I don't think the original model had.

Terry

6. EJW

EJW Member

I like mine. Don't plan to replace it anytime soon.

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

The new one is absolutely fantastic. Can't say anything at all bad about it. I've had a few very expensive choruses and I'm starting to use this instead. That's all ! ERIC

8. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

Thanks for the info. I can't see spending a ton of money for a chorus that I'm only going to use for a few songs so maybe the Cool Cat is worth a try.

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yeah; get the new CC-1; it's true bypass and all metal housed. It'll hold up well. It also sounds awesome. The eq knob lets you get a brighter or darker tone, and the quality of the effect is pristine in all respects; in fact, it's probably the best chorus I've ever heard for guitar and I've owned quite a few pedals and rack units in the past - most of the pedals were Boss units. The Cool Cat absolutely blows those away. Probably one of the best deals going around right now.

10. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Agreed

Eric

11. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

The older model is my favourite chorus sound, but I'm looking at moving to the new model for the True Bypass and EQ/Mix options. Are they 9v? I found the 18v old one a real pain in the butt to power.

12. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Picked up a Cool Cat chorus just an hour ago at Sam Ash for $50.

I wanted a cheap chorus for a pickup board I'm using tomorrow night (my 12vac Retro-Sonic is tie-strapped in on my PT Pro) and GC had nothing under $90.

Damn, what a nice surprise! I'm getting full, lush dimensional chorus from this little bug. (Sorry, it looks like a bug to me). Even found some very wacked out ring mod effects by playing with the extreme ranges.

Does a very decent Leslie sim (Like my old SCH-1 but smoother) and has a similar feel to a Small Clone if you play with the eq. Positive feel to the footswitch, cool blue LED, sized mid-way between the full Danos and the Minis. 9v Boss-style tap. All controls are smooth but the eq "ring" on the dual eq/mix knob is a PITA.

Might try to take it apart for a rehousing project, but not for a while 'cause it sounds too nice not to use.

Great bang-for-buck ratio on this one!

13. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

I think 1Spot Godlyke (Power All) makes an inline voltage selector that works fine for the 18v model I use. You just have to make sure you have selected the correct voltage and there's your chorus. I went back to mine when my CE2 got fried after I daisy chained its power with a fuzz pedal. Oops. The Cool Cat is doing it again with great results. I use it with a TBP switcher so it doesn't suck tone when not in use. I do dedicate a power supply for it.

Ned

14. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yeah; it's not the best arrangement - I find it's easiest to set the inner mix knob first then do the outer eq dial. Set and forget. It's not as bad as the Cool Cat Distortion which has a dual bass/treble stack set in the middle position, as opposed to the outside with the Chorus, which is even more of a hassle.

15. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

Thanks for the review!