Cool Cat CV-1 & Digitech Synth Wah Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Birddog, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Birddog

Birddog Member

Well...I'm not one of those guys who says "this pedal/guitar/amp is great because I own it. I write good reviews when I like, and usually don't say much when I don't, but I'm going to give you two brief, bad reviews. One piece of equipment I returned to GC (the Synth Wah) and the other will sit on the shelf for a while, but eventually go up on Ebay I'm sure.

Danelectro CV-1 Cool Cat Vibe.

It's well built, though the foot switch is somewhat recessed (all the Cool Cat pedals are like this) compared to the height of my other pedals on the board necessitating that it sit in the front row. Not a big deal. When not engaged, the pedal didn't suck any tone. It is true-bypass. When engaged it sounded very nice and is very tweakable. The problem for me is that when you engage it there is a sudden volume swell that is okay at practice volumes but when my amp is up anything above one, I was diving for the volume knob on my strat and/or lp because this thing just assaults your ears with volume when you step on the pedal. It would have to be left on or off for an entire song to make the volume a non-issue, and that's not why I got it. I really wanted to love it. It was inexpensive and well made, and pretty cool sounding but, ultimately a disappointment. If they ironed out that volume issue, I'd have it on my pedalboard in a heartbeat. As it is now, it's not giggable for me.

Digitech Synth Wah:

I wanted some fun tones to add a little something different aside from the standard wah or phaser or trem effect on my board. Just something to add a little wow-factor. As with the Danelectro CV-1, the Synth Wah is an okay pedal. Well-constructed and relatively non tone-sucking. And at bedroom/practice levels it does sound really, really good. But at gig volumes, the phasing/flanging whatever you want to call it is just ear-splitting. And no amount of adjusting (and I tried tweaking this thing for days) could make it bearable. The high end is just too piercing at 'fun' volumes. I tried and tried but could not dial it down to manageable levels except by completely cutting the treble on my amp EQ. Umm, no. It would be great for a studio effect under controlled settings and volumes, but at louder volumes it was un-usuable to me.

I'm not a cork-sniffer. I like cheap pedals if they're good. My board is loaded with Boss, Ibanez, lots of affordable stuff, but these two were just not up to snuff to make it out to my next gig.

2. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I also just noticed that the cool cat pedals have to be in front. Not such a big deal, but it's annoying to have to rearrange my board. Btw if you're looking for an auto-wah type sound, I have to recommend the Mojohand 440. I absolutely love it & have had zero problems dialing in a great sound at gig volumes. The Emma Discombobulator is also great but is much more expensive

3. Birddog

Birddog Member

Thanks for the info on the other pedals. I tried the CV-1 in front and back and everywhere in between. It actually sounded good in several locations. Nothing at all helped the volume issue though.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Birddog, it's widely acknowledged that the Bass Synth Wah is superior, both for guitar and bass. You should give that one a try.

Funnily enough, the Boss AW-3 is similar. Lots of guitarists hate it until they try the bass input.

5. Birddog

Birddog Member

Moe, wish I would have tried that before I put my AW-3 on Ebay, lol.

6. Jack

Jack Member

I use it live. I find the volume boost makes up for the lack of midrange cut that is inherent a vibe.