Cool combo amps like the AC15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Optimus Prime, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Member

Are there any cool combo boutique amps, similar to the Vox AC15, currently in production?

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well... find a Korg reissue Vox AC15 those are supposed to be pretty cool.

BUT... there are plenty of great amps out there that improve BIG-Time on the AC15 platform. Such as the Matchless Lightning, Spitfire and my all time favorite the TopHat Club Royale. The CR smacks a Marshall and a Vox together and creates a killer sweet tone. Highly recommended.

3. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Member

Cool! I'll check it out.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

CR is a way cool Vox-meets-Marshall type amp....I've had three over the last few years. And there are lotsa other choices out there, too.

5. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Member

Like what? :eek:

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

clark grifton:

[​IMG]

and good lord, its mad dope.

7. davebc

davebc Member

Matchless Lightning 15

8. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

+ 1000000000000000

I played one yesterday at NAMM for the first time...it was one of the most amazing amps I've played. Perfect for that chimey, super harmonic goodness. WOW.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

course, try playing one with a 9 piece band, and watch yourself disappear...

10. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

I am getting ready to build a couple of custom Matchless lightning 15w clones. They are more or less vox ac15's.

11. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I would call the Marshall 18 watter a cross between Vox and Marshall (seeing as it's a Marshall with el84s). And those are very popular with a ton of builders now (for good reason--phenomenal little amp). You should be able to find a couple of dozen folks who would be happy to hand build you one if you don't feel like buying Marshall.

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

How many people play in a 9 piece band?? I've played with either my Matchless Hurricane or my TopHat Club Royale for the past 7 years... only once were they not loud enough, even with a loud band. Once! The other 500 gigs/rehearsals I've done plenty loud, clean too. :rolleyes:

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

It can happen.:eek:
    A man has to face his (amp's) limitations.
    Nothing beats trying before you commit.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

wasnt really a loudness issue. rather, felt sonically buried no matter how loud the match was cranked. been using a Clark Grifton in place of it, and i have yet to experience those same problems.

at home, chilling in the front of the tv, or even recording, the lightning was great, but IME, that's only half of the reason i own an amp.

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Gotcha now! :AOK

It helps to have 2x12s also. In full disclosure, I've done way more gigs with my 2x12 TopHat CR than my 1x12 Matchless. My CR has way more ass than the Matchless did. BTW, don't have my Matchless anymore. Wish I hadn't sold it though. I need to remember that alot of you guy's are talking unmic'd, I'm not.

16. morgan

morgan Guest

My mid 90's ac15 tbx is still my favorite amp. The matchless, bad cats, tophats, are all nice amps, but they definitely do their own thing, it's their take on the vox sound. So I wouldn't necessarily call those amps improvements. But if you really want the vox sound, you have to go vox (or a valvetech hayseed, which has a halfpower switch, a 2x12 @ 15w is pretty sweet).