cool demo, Barber DD, CB, OCD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

2. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

my speakers may be kind of ****** for this, but they all sounded pretty similar to me. the variations seemed pretty slight.

3. js54

js54 Member

Awesome!!! :rotflmao

4. Cary Chilton

David, true DAT! Playing them back thru studio monitors helped quite a bit for me... probably not everyone has them...so....

5. pear gage

pear gage Member

they have cd quality versions of the same clips on their own site

6. Cary Chilton

hadron collider! lol yeah, sucked into new wave?

7. Jon

Jon Member

I need some boutique ethernet cable to allow me to hear those internet sound samples without the blanket over my speakers. What internet setup does Robben Ford use? - I prefer old-school PTP tube dial-up modems.

To be honest, I liked the clips as they confirmed why I like my Direct Drive - of the 3 pedals, at least in some of the clips, it had that smooth overdrive which I really like

8. jdawg666

jdawg666 Member

Yup, the Barber is a really smooth OD...probably one of the smoothest I've ever owned. Personally, I didn't find it impressive through the PGS demo -- I don't think it's a good match for their 65 Soho. Quite frankly, I don't like any of the medium to high gain pedal demos they have, because of the amp they're using it with. The Soho just has too much of its own voice, IMHO, and this gets in the way with some medium/high gain pedals. I really think the Barbers work best with Fender amps.

9. JPenn

JPenn Member

I went thru a bunch of OD's when I was using an S-type guitar and the Barber seemed to work the best with it. I don't really like it as much with a mahogany/hums guitar. It gets a little too smooth.

10. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

The DD (and esp. w/mod board) is so versatile and responds well to opamp changes. Try a BB OPA2604. It's reduces the mids some, adds clarity, is quieter and gives the tone a little more texture than the stock 4558.

11. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

12. Jon

Jon Member

Anyone tried the DD at 18v? - I'd like to know what the difference is.

13. jdawg666

jdawg666 Member

More headroom obviously, plus it gets a bit stiffer in feel. I prefer it in 9v myself, but I can see why some people would prefer it at 18v. I like it in 9v as it's a very forgiving pedal to play with a lot of "give" to the notes, if you know what I mean.

14. Jon

Jon Member

Can you explain what more headroom means in the context of a drive pedal? I've heard this a few times and never quite understood what it means for a pedal. With an amp I assume it to mean that the amp can be turned up louder before it distorts i.e. it will be cleaner at a given volume, but the equivalent for an overdrive pedal would mean that you have to turn the drive control up higher to get the same amount of overdrive? - doesn't seem like an advantage to me. I'm probably getting it completely wrong though! :confused:

15. Jon

Jon Member

Can anyone commment on the headoom question above?

16. improv4

improv4 Member

With the higher headroom in a pedal you get a tighter feeling distortion at higher volumes that is untainable at the lower voltage setting. Possible comparison...running a race with little to zero training and you'll achieve the possibility of "x"; but run a race with mucho training results in "x + the benefit of training". OK, maybe not the best comparison but hopefully that sheds some light. I run my fd2 and ocd at 12v and that makes enough difference in both pedals overall performance.
    , C