1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cool guitars or any guitars that just never caught on!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edwarddavis, Jan 12, 2008.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Heres a question , I think it would be fun to see or jere about cool guitars made by big or even small companies that just never caught on. Pictures are a plus.
    examples are
    Gibson RD
    Gibson corvus
    bond guitars
    Guitars that seemed like a good idea at the time.
    Don`t forget they even stopped making Les Pauls for a while!!!

2. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

3. edwarddavis

Those are cool guitars, look like fun. Not made anymore?. USA made?

4. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

The performer was made in Japan, and only for a year or two in the mid 80's.

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I definately nominate the Gibson RD. Very good guitars that never caught on.

6. gregc

gregc Member

Gibson Marauder?

7. thomasdk

thomasdk Member

Marauder is my opinion as well!

8. Ascension

Ascension Member

Carvin X220. Smaller lighter and better ballanced than the V220 that was just re-issued. I currently own 2 a Pearl Pink 1990 and possably the only 91 X220C ever built with the strat scale LS 93 22 fret neck option. The Pink 90 in particular is a KILLER is SUPER light weighing in at just under 5 lbs it's incredably resonate, plays like butter and is just a fantastic sounding and playing guitar:RoCkIn !
    Here are my 2 X's with my old DC125.
    [​IMG]

9. Ascension

Ascension Member

Washburn USA Chigago Custom MG series.
    Grover Jackson was running the Washburn USA CS in the 90's and these were his babies. Incredable workmanship and attention to detail, amazing playability and tones. These are some of absolute best of the 80's and 90's Super Strats out there.The particular ones I'm into were only built from 1994-1996 and while you see quite a few of the import MG's there were few of these USA Customs built. When they do show up on ebay few know what they are and they will normally sell for under $500.

[​IMG]

10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Fender telesonic. Shorter scale, with Dearmond 2k pickups, that were otherwise available only in Guild/Dearmond branded instruments. Those pickups in a solid body are very nice, as in the DA M-75T. Always wanted to hear the tele version of that concept.

11. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Parker Fly. Sure there was a lot of buzz, but I don't see many around.

12. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Steinbergers - great concept and engineering - best trem system ever - great sound and ergonomics - always in tune. Never caught on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. PFCG

PFCG Member

parkers never massively caught on, but there is a cult following

14. snarkle

snarkle Member

+ 1 for Fender Performers, Bonds, Daion electrics, and the Parker Fly...I've owned them all, although not currently.

What they have in common is that they're beautifully made, creatively designed, and very playable. But I wonder if the reason these never caught on is that while they're all very versatile guitars, they don't really have a strong sonic signature.

You could also say the same thing about the underappreciated guitar that's currently getting a lot of play time at my house; a ’70s Les Paul Signature goldtop that I picked up from a forum member. (Thanks, Al!) It's got a great, lush jazz sound from the neck pickup and good crunch from the bridge; using the impedance selector you can even squeeze some convincing Telecaster timbres out of it. But you'd never hear it in a mix and say, "Oh, that's a Les Paul Signature." You might, however, say "That's a really good-sounding guitar..."

Just a thought...

15. edwarddavis

Its probably had to break seriously into the guitar market because players seem to like the big three styles Lp . strat or tele. I kinda like to stray away and play stuff you dont normally see.

16. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

umm....the new Taylor T-5...great idea and superior build...but don't see anyone out there using them....yet?

17. DrBob

DrBob Member

I read in Guitarist (UK magazine) that there were more Taylor T5's sold than 335's last year. Can't ratify that mind you.

Anyway loads of guitars loved and lost.

Yamaha Blues Saraceno.

Steinberger Sceptre (The headstock model)

Samick Radio 10/TV Twenty.

I'll think of some more...

18. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

+1 on the RD
    +1 on the Performer (I still miss the one I had. sold it for $400 a couple of years ago)

how about Modernes?

and maybe the Reverse V? although given that they've already reissued it, perhaps it will be a model that is in fact, catching on...

[​IMG]

19. PFCG

PFCG Member

the reverse V to me is one of the ugliest guitars i have ever seen. i know to each his own, but damn it looks so dumb to me, just not practical in any way shape or form. The moderne is really a cool looking guitar and i wouldent mind having one of those as a novelty, they also sound really nice. i dont think id go out of my way for one, im just picky about having 24 frets and a compound radius. Corvus just looks uncomfortable, but its not nearly as bad as the reverse v.

20. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the rd was (i suspect) a flop due to its screwball active electronics, as well as its solid maple boat anchor construction. the new reissue, with its normal mahogany/passive pickup construction, might be a hit.