Cool music experiences

Yer Blues

What are some of the coolest musical experiences you have been involved in... directly or indirectly?

I am listening to Hank Marvin this morning and his version of "We Are the Champions" just came on and it took me back to when I was 14-15. My mom use to take me to a jam where the house guitarist was the guy I took lessons from. One time a baseball team a few years younger than me came in to celebrate a win and the band played a version of "We are the Champions". The kids and parents loved it.

The musicians at this jam were always cool to me and it really inspired me to keep playing and want to get good... more so than any CD I owned or video on MTV. That jam was the first time I played with a "real" band other than my friends in the garage and it got me hooked. I remember them cranking out some awesome classic rock and blues stuff, including a version of Stairway where my friend played the flute parts with volume swells and long extended outro solos.

Jams certainly have their positives and negatives, but I try to remember how those guys treated me and try to pass it forward.

mannish

spending an afternoon with South African musicians - them playing the Mbria ? (Thumb piano), chanting (or something like that) and me playing acoustic slide. It was probably about 15 people sitting in someone's a living room on a lake....It was very spiritual, chilling music, incredible magic moment that could not recreated - just happened

Elwoody

Three come to mind:

Seeing SRV and Double Trouble live in I believe '84 at the Convention Inn South, Edmonton. My bro and I stood leaning against the stage at SRV's feet, he/they were tremendous that night, my personal 'Hendrix-like' experience in the sense the music oozed out of him, he was on his game.

Second was walking into a little bar in the late afternoon in the N'Awlins French Quarter on a solo trip in '92, having an ice cold one, only a couple of other patrons were there, while a trio played Big Easy standards in the corner. It was fabulous.

And third was another solo trip to Louisiana in '94'. I'd read that a place in Mamou called Fred's Lounge had live Cajun music every Saturday morning so, prior to jutting off to the Interstate to drive six hours to catch a flight back to Edmonton from Dallas (yup, I was an adventurous dude back then), I stopped at Fred's at nine for local Cajun music, dancing, a can of Bud and hot boudin. The real deal.

Bankston

For me the coolest experience was my band opening for Night Ranger at a club show in Houston a couple of years back. One of the things that made me want to start playing electric guitar when I was 13 was seeing Night Ranger on a Saturday night MTV concert. Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson were just on fire during that show with melodic, tasty pyrotechnics that I found inspiring.

So flash forward 30 years. We're booked to open for Night Ranger (minus Jeff Watson and Alan Fitzgerald). I'm loading my gear into the club and along comes Brad Gillis walking through the club. I was able to shake his hand and tell him that he was one of the reasons I started playing guitar. He just smiled and said, "Very cool!" After the show I got to meet the entire band, get pics, and Brad signed my MIJ red Strat that's a replica of his main '62 Strat. He checked it out and said the action was a little high but he dug it.

The next coolest experiences have been every time I've met Billy Gibbons, who was the other guitarist who inspired me to start playing. Last time I saw Billy was running into him at the CVS near my house.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
I had a really neat experience just this past Saturday afternoon. It was really nice and sunny out for a good bit of the day. A friend stopped by & we were listening to the bookshelf stereo that I keep on the roof of my apartment building. After about 10 minutes or so, my neighbor and her friend came up to hang out for a bit. They were hanging out in a different area & kept to themselves. I would occasionally look over at them and noticed the one I had never met before was consoling her & she was obviously very upset about something. My friend decides to take off and I needed to head down to my apartment to take care of a few quick things. It started to get kind of gloomy & the clouds started to blow in. Before I left, I decided to play some music that I thought may make her feel better. Back in like 1997 as far as I know, TGP's very own Steve Kimock was sort of down & out, and he made a very special recording that was known as the Raga disc. It's just a solo performance around 45 minutes long of him playing his square neck Regal with a slide. As I understand it this was a difficult time in his life, and he made this music that is VERY moving. I got it from another fan in a trade & we weren't supposed to trade this per his request. But, I find it to be a very special piece of music and you can really feel the angst and emotion in the playing. After half an hour or so, I returned to the roof and they left shortly thereafter. As they passed by they both commented on how much they appreciated the music that I left playing for them and that it genuinely did make her feel better. So, thanks Steve! You really make people better with your music.

27sauce

I've played with some cool people, some heroes...but the coolest moment was when I got to "produce" Flaco Jimenez on an overdub session.

My buddy was producing a Tanya Tucker covers album and rather than fly Flaco out to LA he inlisted me to track him down and record him. All without his label or management knowing. Everything leading up to the session was an adventure, which I was warned of by the producer.

Getting him to the studio and recorded was priority one, if it got too late in the day(past noon), the day would be wasted, a bust. All was set to go, 10am when I see on social media that he was a surprise guest at Willie Nelson's gig in Austin the night before! I thought the session was doomed...

It wasn't, he was on time, a total pro...and the "holy ****" moment really hit me when he asked what I wanted. I had to get him on record, tell him to go a couple of more times, more this, less that...it was surreal. I'd been listening to this guy play my entire life. And he was full of stories that he knew the engineer and I would love. Ry, Dylan, Stones...he was really fantastic. One of the coolest days of my life.

Last edited:

armadillo66

I've played with some cool people, some heroes...but the coolest moment was when I got to "produce" Flaco Jimenez on an overdub session.

My buddy was producing a Tanya Tucker covers album and rather than fly Flaco out to LA he inlisted me to track him down and record him. All without his label or management knowing. Everything leading up to the session was an adventure, which I was warned of by the producer.

Getting him to the studio and recorded was priority one, if it got too late in the day(past noon), the day would be wasted, a bust. All was set to go, 10am when I see on social media that he was a surprise guest at Willie Nelson's gig in Austin the night before! I thought the session was doomed...

It wasn't, he was on time, a total pro...and the "holy ****" moment really hit me when he asked what I wanted. I had to get him on record, tell him to go a couple of more times, more this, less that...it was surreal. I'd been listening to this guy play my entire life. And he was full of stories that he knew the engineer and I would love. Ry, Dylan, Stones...he was really fantastic. One of the coolest days of my life.
I met him in Prunedale California with Doug Sahm & Augie. Doug was our landlord. Louis Ortega was playing guitar for the Tornados, he is a Salinas local player, I worked hauling gear for Louis' band in Salinas. Great people I really respect for the great music they do. Flaco has the most radiant smile.

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
spending an afternoon with South African musicians - them playing the Mbria ? (Thumb piano), chanting (or something like that) and me playing acoustic slide. It was probably about 15 people sitting in someone's a living room on a lake....It was very spiritual, chilling music, incredible magic moment that could not recreated - just happened
When I was in college, Foday Musa Suso (Gambian native and a griot) came to our class. He handed out mbira, talking drums and other intstruments and had us accompany him while he played the kora. I didn't know who he was at the time, but he had just cut an album with Herbie Hancock. It was a great experience.

27sauce

I met him in Prunedale California with Doug Sahm & Augie. Doug was our landlord. Louis Ortega was playing guitar for the Tornados, he is a Salinas local player, I worked hauling gear for Louis' band in Salinas. Great people I really respect for the great music they do. Flaco has the most radiant smile.
Man, I still get torn up about Sahm. So sudden, what a loss...

I was supposed to do a similar session with Augie, but he was way overpriced, according to my buddy. His sollution was to put an ad on Craigslist in LA to rent a Vox Continental organ. 20 bucks, a tank of gas, staccato 8th notes...instant Augie.

Another time, Augie hit me up to produce his solo album. Then amidst discussions over that he asked if I could come help with some carpentry stuff at his house! Wtf?! I think he had me confused with someone else, or wanted cheap manual labor.

Last edited:

mannish

When I was in college, Foday Musa Suso (Gambian native and a griot) came to our class. He handed out mbira, talking drums and other intstruments and had us accompany him while he played the kora. I didn't know who he was at the time, but he had just cut an album with Herbie Hancock. It was a great experience.
It as about 15 years ago. Someone introduced them to me the day before at a music festival I was playing - Apparently they were staying at the guys house on the lake, they asked me if I wanted to come over next day play & hang out. The experience was way more than I expected. I always remembered the word 'Chartwell' caused it was used several times that day, I thought they were referring to what was being passed around. Then about 6 months ago I saw this guy Chartwell Dutiro mentioned, It made me wonder was he was there that day

http://chartwelldutiro.com/

gtrplyr1

My guitar hero is Steve Morse. I won a contest Capricorn Records had to hang with him during sound check and in the green room before a show at Park West in Chicago during the Dregs Bringin Em Back Alive tour, I think 1992.

The guy representing Capricorn was there and wanted to take pictures, he kept on badgering if I wanted anything signed by Steve or wanted to pose for photos, he just kept hovering and I could tell Steve was a little irritated if you can imagine ever seeing him less than totally mellow. I said no thank you, I was just glad to be able to meet Steve finally.

We ended up playing a little guitar together, he let me play his number 1, we talked about our mutual interest in aircraft and flying, early days of the Dregs. It was low key and pleasant. We talked right up to the moment it was time for him to walk out on stage. The contest did not include staying for the show if you can believe that but Steve invited me to sit with the bands family members and guests at the side of the stage for the show. Such a cool guy.

In hindsight I do regret not getting a photo of him and I together, especially when we were sitting playing our guitars.

Trending Topics