Cool new ABY pedal: Radial BigShot

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cg, Jan 11, 2006.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Street price is right around $60. Someone finally built a reasonably priced, richly featured ABY pedal. I'm glad I didn't have to drop $300 on the Framptone pedal.

From the manufacturer:

"The BigShot ABY is equipped with four 1/4" jacks: the input that connects the guitar; a tuner output that can drive a tuner, and two outputs labeled A and B. Output B is equipped with a switchable isolation transformer that eliminates hum & buzz caused by ground loops. Also, once engaged, the polarity reverse switch becomes active allowing the player to line up the two amps in phase. A ground lift is also provided to further reduce hum and buzz problems. "

[​IMG]

2. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

looks good. Are they available yet.

3. ABKB

ABKB Member

4. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

What are the differences other than price?

5. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

There's one MAJOR FREAKIN PROBLEM tho. Where are the LED''s ?????

7. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

no leds, no batteries, no nuthin'. just what i was looking for. got an email form pedalgeek this morning and they have them too. sweet.

8. drolling

drolling Member

I've got a couple fuzz boxes with no LEDs. If I needed a light to tell me they were on, I'd have to be stone deaf.

But it a passive switching system like this one, there'd have to be a power supply just for the light.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It also doesn't have the drag control to stabilize the input impedance like the Switchbone does. Still, at that price I can get rid of all the other ABYs and just use a chain of these ;)

10. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i'm gonna stick with my switchbone because i love the leds, boost, and drag feature. BUT, if this had been around a year ago, i'd have jumped on it. tonebone makes some really practical tools for guitarists. very cool!

11. playon

playon Supporting Member

I can speak for Radial products, they make great, pro-quality heavy duty stuff. I have had one of their Jensen DI boxes for years, it works great & is bullet-proof.

12. Den

Den Member

I love my Radial Switchbone as well ... great pedal. I had one of these Bigshots on order for quite a while hoping it would free up some space on my board ... but after it had gotten backordered several times, I thought about the features my Switchbone has and decided I wouldn't want to give them up.

Not having LED's to show what's going on is a dealbreaker for me. In a gig situation, while I'm singing and getting ready for a lead break, I don't want to have to worry if I hit the switch properly, or what amp is coming up after I move from the "Y" setting.

The Switchbone's boost is also such a great sounding, versatile boost, I can't see not having it there, as well as the drag feature. Radial does build some great stuff!

13. jetlag

jetlag Member

It doesn't have a drag control because it doesn't have a buffer. It's a passive pedal, so I'm not sure it'll sound good when in "Y" mode. Thus, I have an email in to Radial for details.

I'm being cautious this time because I was pretty unsatisfied with my switchbone. My kendrick ABC sounded much more transparent and was quieter if you can believe it. I do miss the polarity flip though ..............

14. Den

Den Member

These ABY threads have come up hundreds of times over the last few years, and this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone having a noise problem, or any problem for that matter with the Switchbone. I'd just have to guess you had a faulty pedal. Sorry to hear it.

15. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Yeah...I have the Switchbone, Lehle 3 @ 1, and Barber LP...all sound very close (i.e., transparent) to me.

16. jetlag

jetlag Member

Well, I guess I have dissenting ears. I really didn't like the boost in the switchbone (or the mid bump) but didn't sweat it since that wasn't why I bought the pedal. Certainly that aspect of the switchbone is entirely subjective ...... But my problem with the persistant low level buzz was something pretty black and white. The same rig in the same room with the Kendrick ABC was dead quiet and better sounding. My email to radial bounced unfortunately, so I haven't been able to contact them yet. Still, the BigShot looks promising if it sounds good in the "Y" mode. Radial certainly seems to be a company that makes well thought out products.

17. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Bingo! What a lame choice on Radials part. ALL of the other small batch A/B pedals in the same price range (Loooper/Loop-master/startouch) offer LED's. For $15 more give me some LED's.

18. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Not to hijack, but any comparison with the startouch aby?

19. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

Everytime I buy a switcher one output doesn't sound the same as the other. Like less mid or something. If this is a true bypass curcuit it's got to be like the others. Exspecially without a buffer.

20. jmp2204

jmp2204 Supporting Member

I just got mine friday and I have to say that I really like it. very sturdy box and switches, not too big a footprint, either. Hooked it up and plugged in; no pops or bleedthrough, and most importantly to me, no ground loop hum. and this was with the settings out of the box, none of the lift/iso switches engaged. that made my day. I did not notice any tone degradation, either. I have to really put it thru its paces, but for now, I found just what I wanted.