Cool Tele configurations

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AaeCee, Mar 4, 2006.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

OK, don't flame me for this, Tele Police, but I've recently thought of a pickup config. that should be really cool on a Tele (yeah, I know you in the TP are saying "then it's really not a Tele"). P-90 neck, mini-hum bridge! How could that not sound great?! A little unconventional perhaps, but on paper, it makes so much sense. Anyone seen one or even tried one? Are you listening Suhr, Anderson, et.al.? Just remember where you got the idea! AC

2. mainsale

mainsale Member

I recently modded an Am Std Tele and put a Fralin P-92 in the neck. The P-92 is best described as a noiseless P-90 and it is now my favorite pickup in the neck of a Tele. No mud...just great single coil tones. It really, really works great in the neck of a Tele.

3. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

i recently had a SD P90 installed in my tele... Sounds killer, oddly enough i was thinking of putting something like a firebird pickup in the bridge... Decided against it, simply because i didn't want to completely loose the tele vibe...

4. Grap

Grap Member

Put what you like in there! I know some serious Tele player who swear by having a mini humbucker in th neck position. Of my accumulation of Teles only one has the "typical" pickup configuration:

MIJ 50's Tele - SD Jerry Donahue bridge & Fender '52 RI neck.
    CIJ '72 Thinline - Stock Fender Japan humbuckers
    CIJ '72 Custom - Stock Fender Japan bridge single coil and neck humbucker
    G&L ASAT Special - Two big MFD pickups.
    G&L ASAT Jr. Ditto.
    G&L GbL_LE - Three Strat sized MFD pickups.
    Yamaha Mike Stern Sig. - SD Tele Hot Rails in the bridge and '59 humbucker in the neck.

The ones that cover the most bases are the '72 Custom RI and the Mike Stern Sig., which I reckon is one of the most underrated guitars out there.

- Steve

5. DamianP

DamianP Member

I tried it..... Well, close!
    The only hb equipped guitar I have.
    A good combination imo.

[​IMG]

,Damian.

6. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

That's really sweet, Damian. I'd been wondering about that exact combination, myself -- two of my 3 favorite pickups (the third being 'regular' Tele pickups.) How's the middle position sound?

7. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Interesting call. I would flip those though - mini neck and P-90 bridge.

Mini-humbuckers, DeArmonds, and Filtertrons, are pickups that should show up more on Tele styles.

The one I am jones-ing for is to get Filtertrons on an Anderson Cobra. I'm going to probably do that myself with a pair of TV-trons.

8. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now, before any purists (who may have made it this far on a thread like this have a total meltdown.... relax.... breath! :)

This is my Godin Artisan TC. Med/light weight Basswood (Limewood) with super thick arched maple cap and binding. Neck is Maple/Rosewood Absolutely SUPERB tone and player with ridiculous versatility.

I have changed pickups numerous times over the years and LOVE this setup.

Neck pickup is a 4 rail custom made Dimarzio (variation on their Multibucker model). This has the Cruiser (P-90 meets Strat tone) closest to the neck and the protrack (PAF tone) closest to the bridge.

I can have:

1. cruiser,
    2. cruiser split,
    3. protrack,
    4. both in parallel
    5. both in series

All for neck tone options.
    All of which have a unique flavor. (The cruiser has a very cool thinner tone when split, unlike the other models which split to sound more like singles.)

Neck Clean:

Neck Dirty:
    Neck Cruiser Series, Followed by Single Coil ​
    Neck Cruiser, Split, Protrack, Both in Series

Middle pickup (added) is a cruiser:
    Middle Cruiser Pickup
    Middle Cruiser in Series with: Neck Cruiser, Neck Protrack, Neck Cruiser, Neck Cruiser and Neck Protrack In Series

Bridge Clean:
    Bridge Pickup is a Dimarzio Air Zone Series, followed by single coil

Bridge Dirty:
    Bridge AirZone Series, followed by Single Coil
    Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Thanks for the pics mouldy & harry. Sweet guitars. I have a G&L ASAT Classic Custom semi-hollow. The Classic Custom has an overwound ASAT pup in the neck and an ASAT Classic pup in the bridge. Very nice. The neck pup gives a great blues or jazz tone.

Not exactly what you're talking about but a definite departure from "normal."

10. DamianP

DamianP Member

Thanks CQ.
    Sounds like we have the same taste in pickups!
    The Filtertron is a TV Jones classic plus. It matches very well output wise with the P90.The middle position is the one I use most. Not easy to describe. Sort of a fatter more full frequency version of a Tele mid position if that helps.

,Damian.

P.S. Harryj. I just listened to your clips. What a great sounding guitar. You forgot to mention the ridiculously good playing though!
    Not sure I could cope with 35 pickup options though. I get confused enough with 3!

11. medrawt

medrawt Member

Isn't that the Neil Young setup in his Les Paul?

Hmm...I love that tone...I can't get comfy playing Pauls...I am comfy playing Teles...

12. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

yup, p90 neck and firebird in the bridge...

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

So there you go. Now somebody quick...do the same on a Tele. Its just gotta sound great! AC

14. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

send me a firebird pickup and ill be glad to chop away at mine. :D

15. ratkent

ratkent Member

16. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Hey, Thx for the kind words mouldynudger :)

HJ

17. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I can relate. I have a Jorgenson, which has double Tele pickups neck and bridge. Then there are the space cases like the original Tele Plus - Lace dually in the bridge.

About the only thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that sliding pickup on the original Broadcaster prototype, or if anyone put a Charlie Christian pickup, or maybe one of those lap steel wraparound pickups on a Tele.

18. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

The Charlie Christian's been done. There's a sweet GVCG for sale on Mark's Guitar Loft configured that way. It's a one-off, but done nonetheless. Wonder how it sounds? What is the characteristic sound of that pickup? AC

19. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Yeah it looks like Jason Lollar could do any of these:

http://www.lollarguitars.com/replacement_pickups.htm

and these guys appear to be serious about the Christian type:

http://www.ccpickups.co.uk/xhtml/about.html

I think in terms of this type of pickup sounding like Charlie Christian, but I don't know what it would sound like with any other approach to playing.

20. fakeox

fakeox Member

I would flip those though - mini neck and P-90 bridge.
    Rivieratoasters
    -------------------------------------
    +1