Cool Thing at NAMM - The New Vox Virage Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Screaming Stone, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Screaming Stone

Screaming Stone Member

Saw something cool at this year's NAMM - the new VOX guitar - the thing that really caught my attention was the bridge with "extended travel" - basically there's more area for the bridge to move back/forth - the claim being any gauge string can be used and be perfectly intonated. I've run into that problem on many bridges - trying to intonate and the saddle either can't go forward or back enough.

The pickup is pretty cool - the 3-90 -- you can get single coil, humbucker, or P-90 tones due to the 3 blades. This seems to be the latest pup trick - Duncan announced a similar design combining a P-90 and a hot rails.

2. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

3. scottro123

scottro123 Member

Anyone know what these will cost?

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I was told about $2500, but I don't know if that's list or street.

5. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

That body contouring is neat-o.

6. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

I'm curious where these are manufactured. They specifically emphasize that the pickups are made in the USA, which suggests that the rest is not. If they're made in Japan, I suppose the price is par for the course compared to the Ibanez Scofield and similar guitars. If they're made in China like everything else Vox makes, that's one hefty price tag.

7. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

If they are Chinese made they would be cheaper than 2500 I'm sure. Compare the pricing on the Chinese made Eastman's. Looks like the release date is not until April so we will have to wait to find out more about these.

8. almcg2

almcg2 Member

They are made in Japan at Fuji gen factory (spelling). Anyway, they are one of the best if not the best Japanese manufacturers. List price is $3300 for DC - $2500 street, $3200 SC - $2400 street. I have one ordered already.

9. reeced

reeced Member

I'm curious - whilst somebody like Callaham charges hefty prices for stainless steel bridges and parts, claiming to increase sustain etc, admittedly on Strats/Teles, the Vox bridge is made of aluminium - "Weighing in at just less than 2 ounces the light weight aluminium bridge transfers maximum string information to the body through solid contact with the steel height adjusting posts".

What is the best material for an electric guitar bridge ?

10. uvacom

uvacom Member

I don't think one is necessarily better - gibson-style bridges/tailpieces tend to be made from aluminum, fender-styled bridges tend to be made from steel. Since the virage is roughly gibson-styled, they probably decided to go with aluminum.