Cool video with David Sanborn & Charlie Hunter Jamming

PerFusionist

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for posting!

Funny story about how I discovered CH...

I was walking around Asheville, NC around '99 or so. Had a day-long break from my summer job as a camp counselor :p I looked up and said the name on a marquee out loud, "Charlie Hunter". Out of the corner of my eye a dude sitting out front of the club suddenly looked up and I realized, well that's probably him. It was indeed him but I was too shy to say anything.

Anyway, figured I'd give him a shot with no prior knowledge of his music at all. Hooooly smokes did my mind get blown that night! Good times.

NotWesYet

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for posting!

Funny story about how I discovered CH...

I was walking around Asheville, NC around '99 or so. Had a day-long break from my summer job as a camp counselor :p I looked up and said the name on a marquee out loud, "Charlie Hunter". Out of the corner of my eye a dude sitting out front of the club suddenly looked up and I realized, well that's probably him. It was indeed him but I was too shy to say anything.

Anyway, figured I'd give him a shot with no prior knowledge of his music at all. Hooooly smokes did my mind get blown that night! Good times.

Was that at "Be Here Now?" Great club. I saw "Southern Comfort on the Skids" there but missed Charlie and the New Mastersounds.

PerFusionist

Silver Supporting Member
Was that at "Be Here Now?" Great club. I saw "Southern Comfort on the Skids" there but missed Charlie and the New Mastersounds.
Sure was! I saw Charlie there twice during those years as a counselor, first time was just him and a drummer, second was a quartet. Also saw plenty of other really cool, unique acts there. Great club indeed.

NotWesYet

Silver Supporting Member
I think it would be wonderful to work with Sanborn and Hunter. They seem like genuine guys.

PdL

Platinum Supporting Member
Charlie can do no wrong IMO. Super -talented, plays & collaborates w/ tons of others musicians, continues to write, record & release new music every couple years, rarely goes more than a few months w/o playing a series of live shows, and is a genuinely nice guy. :aok

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
I recall reading an interview where CH said he was stepping back and woodshedding - he’d spent two months “working on the ‘and’ of 4” - smoothing out his transitions to avoid jumping the groove in the prep for the fill lick.

That is the coolest thing to say, ever. Yeah, I needed to really dig in and work on the ‘and’ of 4 - and then show exactly how the work pays off. Beyond impressive.

Trending Topics