Cool vintage parts ebay score!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JJGross, Aug 11, 2008.

1. JJGross

JJGross Member

[​IMG]$19 for the pile, I was the only bidder.

I'm sure I'll never figure out what it was originally made for but several of the tubes are specifically labeled USAF so I'll go way out on a limb and say aircraft.
    :crazyguy

Dates on all tubes (all 12AU7) are within a couple months of each other in spring 1960. Brands are a mix of Sylvania, GE, RCA and Westinghouse & one that is labeled "Made by Tung-Sol for Polorad" (nope - not Poloroid). They are all USA made. I have yet to test them, but I'll have to extract a few of them from the guts of these devices first.

The coolest part is that there are not only all these nice old tubes and sockets, but a pile of other things like AC switches, small neon bulbs, a LOT of pots and cool knobs and several rheostat type controls including what looks very much to me like an audio attenuator loaded with cement resistors and a big honking Rayethon type knob.

There are also a ton of banana plugs and sockets to hook all these things up one way or another.

I would have paid $19 for just the knobs on these things. The other goodies are pure BONUS!
    My pedal board full of homemade stomps is gonna look so cool at next week's gig. I may be posting soon in the classifieds here with a lot of what now look to me like very boring knobs. :D

Sorry - just had to brag. Carry on.

Cheers,
    - JJ

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

This is something I've been perking my ears up for lately.

Its funny.... I'm only 28 years old. But I find myself giddy like a kid when I got a broken '50s MASSIVE oscilliscope once for $15...

... of course I could never fix it, but the vintage resistors, pots, and TUBES (something like 40+) was a fun time looting.

I'm getting into the amp circuit building part of my tonequest, and these parts are a deal, and are GOOD PARTS, because of the era.

Enjoy, even if all you get out of it is the knobs! :)

3. JJGross

JJGross Member

These things are CRAMMED full of Allen Bradley CC resistors, AB pots (none of which have any solder on the backs - beautiful) and other super high grade parts. I haven't tested a lot of the stuff yet, but everything I have tested is within 2% of marked specs. Considering they're all about 50 years old, that's some high quality stuff!

Cheers!

4. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

My father (he's now 67) has been hoarding electronics since he was a tech in the Air Force 50 years ago. And yes, it's nice to have access to NOS tubes he's had squirreled away since 1960... but he has amassed literally tons of stuff.. So much that it's filling an aircraft hangar that is 60' X 60' X 20 feet high!!!

Seek help before it's too late!!!! :)

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

An aircraft hangar in San Diego, you say?

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

hhahfhahaahahahahh ah hahhah hahha'

ahaha

hahha

no

:drool

7. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Tyler - Didn't realize that was you in the 'cranked 67 Super' youtube clip!! Awesome tone and playing man! That clip was one of the reasons I decided to build an AB763 BF Super Reverb.. It's all done now (with lots of parts from the hanger!) and I'm loving the amp! Sorry, no intention to hijack the thread.

8. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Lol!! Yup, thats me. Thanks! Got any clips of your Super Build? I was lucky, I just used an already built vintage amp and modified it to my liking. Building from scratch is HARD>