Cool visit with Michael Stevens

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Ogre, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Ogre

Ogre Member

On a recent trip to Big Bend National Park(highly recommended!), I was able to reconnect with my old pal. He isn't training Arabian horses anymore, but he is building some extraordinary electric guitars. Although hard at work on numerous orders, I got to see his skunkworks, where the magic happens. I recognized a few names on guitars being built. You lucky few are in good hands. I would love to be in the club, but while we are in the depths of the R-word, that is not likely. Still, it was a blast to catch up with the master, and the Chihuahuan desert was magnificent.

2. magnus02

magnus02 Member

thats awesome man! he's always saying how gorgeous it is down there, i'd love to make it some time and see where my baby was put together. he's gotta be one of the nicest most knowledgeable people i've ever talked to about guitars.... makes me feel a little 'dumb' haha

3. Blauserk

Blauserk Silver Supporting Member

I've been playing guitar since 1978 or 1979, except for a hiatus from about 1994 until 1999, when I was too busy and sucking at guitar had finally gotten to me (I'm over it now). During that hiatus, I went with my wife to Big Bend country and stayed at Cibolo Creek Ranch, which is a bit too posh to even be called a dude ranch. We went riding one day with an exceptionally nice guy. The people at the ranch said he made guitars, and I didn't think much of it. Anyhoo, it was Michael Stevens. Now that I play guitar again, I kick myself that I (1) didn't go by his shop when we visited Alpine and (2) that I didn't BUY ONE. Nice man. Nice gits.

4. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

A brilliant man with decades of experience...a combination that is unbeatable!