• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Coolest luthier guitar I have played... but it's not mine ! (yet)

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
Very nice. I don't own any cedar guitars currently and would like to try some sometime soon, but I am taking a step in that direction with a couple of Redwood builds.

Gilky

Platinum Supporting Member
That guitar has a lovely, crisp tone but still retains beautiful depth. That's how an acoustic should sound, nice playing and recording too.

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
Currently will shortly be remedied I’m thinking.... ;) :D
Haha. Easier said that done. A new build slot could be up to 3 or 4 years depending who it is ;)

p.s. isn’t it supposed to be the other way around, with me pushing you to buy an acoustic? :rotflmao

AnouckAndre

That guitar has a lovely, crisp tone but still retains beautiful depth. That's how an acoustic should sound, nice playing and recording too.
I agree ! that's how an acoustic should sound ! Thanks a lot for listening to the video :)

Jazzandmore

Thanks everyone ! Yes Cedar is a very warm wood that I love, not only for classical guitars !
I need to check it out at home when I can use headphones. Love a warm sound and a bit of rounding on the highs so they aren’t too crisp. As a jazz guy I love a full warm tone.

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
I need to check it out at home when I can use headphones. Love a warm sound and a bit of rounding on the highs so they aren’t too crisp. As a jazz guy I love a full warm tone.
Haha, well maybe a cedar or redwood guitar is what you need. No point waiting!! :D :rotflmao

Jazzandmore

Yup, you really are a cedar guy it seems :D
I think it’s a different guitar, seems to join around 15th instead of 12th like the first one. So not sure if it’s also Cedar. But I assume the top is done with a French Polish ;)

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
I think it’s a different guitar, seems to join around 15th instead of 12th like the first one. So not sure if it’s also Cedar. But I assume the top is done with a French Polish ;)
haha, well good eye if that’s the case. Joints are typically either at 14th feet or 12, but a few builders (Buendia and Tom Rein to name two mentioned before) may split the difference and make or offer a 13th fret option — gives a little more upper fret access but still helps out the bridge in the sweet spot of the soundboard like a 12th fret joint typically does.

Aside from high end nylon string Classical guitars (which the entire guitar, not just the top, is French polished) I wouldn’t expect to see French polish on a cedar or Redwood steel string acoustic. Cedar is the softest of all of the top woods and is really vulnerable to scratching and even denting If it doesn’t have a more protective finish.

I should know, because I bought a nylon string Cedar Classical — guitar which I have no business owning because I’ve never learned or played Classical — and I gauged it pretty good in the first 5 or 10 minutes. I’ve been scared to play it ever since :rotflmao

Jazzandmore

haha, well good eye if that’s the case. Joints are typically either at 14th feet or 12, but a few builders (Buendia and Tom Rein to name two mentioned before) may split the difference and make or offer a 13th fret option — gives a little more upper fret access but still helps out the bridge in the sweet spot of the soundboard like a 12th fret joint typically does.

Aside from high end nylon string Classical guitars (which the entire guitar, not just the top, is French polished) I wouldn’t expect to see French polish on a cedar or Redwood steel string acoustic. Cedar is the softest of all of the top woods and is really vulnerable to scratching and even denting If it doesn’t have a more protective finish.

I should know, because I bought a nylon string Cedar Classical — guitar which I have no business owning because I’ve never learned or played Classical — and I gauged it pretty good in the first 5 or 10 minutes. I’ve been scared to play it ever since :rotflmao
Yep 14th fret now that I look at it. The guitar in the original post has the dual marks at 12th but none below. The one in the video I added seems darker and has a mark at the 15th and the binding seems different. The top end sounds different to me too, less crisp.

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
Yep 14th fret now that I look at it. The guitar in the original post has the dual marks at 12th but none below. The one in the video I added seems darker and has a mark at the 15th and the binding seems different. The top end sounds different to me too, less crisp.
Both are 14th fret guitar but they’re different because of the inlay if nothing else. Hard to tell top wood species from a black & white guitar video. So maybe cedar, maybe not.

Cedar's great if you have a light touch and are not concerned with volume. If you like to dig in it compresses and doesn't have the headroom or overall volume of spruce. The difference is really noticeable, at least to me, though not so much of an issue if you are miking it or using a pickup.

AnouckAndre

@AnouckAndre this is a different guitar by him right? Really shines in this vid

Yes they are two different guitars, but both have a Cedar soundboard.
The guitar in the "Nature Boy" video is mine, but the other one is not. (unfortunately).
Both are amazing guitar but the new one I demoed has really "something".

Trending Topics

Top Bottom