Sold Copper Pickguards - Art meets Science

Hi Everyone,

**Now open to reasonable offers? **

My first post! Hope you find it interesting.

I've just finished a quad of 1.8 mm thick, acid etched and aged copper pickguards for any US made single coil Fender Telecaster. The copper reduces hum and can soften, round off ice pick highs. They are completely handmade, one off pieces of functional art :)

They weigh about 12 oz. Standard 3 ply plastic is about 3 oz.

At $250 US each + $25 US handling and postage, I guess they are priced more as a piece of art than just a functional pickguard, ...although they do genuinely offer tonal improvements.

* The Alchemy is SOLD! :)
* The Triffid is SOLD! ....from the Gearpage. Thanks Bob Hoot!

I'm happy to post more information about the crafting process, if there is interest. :)

Thanks for looking!

KoKopelli !

SOLD

SOLD

Last edited:
...artsy as all get out....very nice....by all means expound on your process...
Thanks for the interest.
The secret is in getting the etching stage right to create a contrast between the rustic etched surface and the desired images.

The process is roughly:
  • doodle up the design idea on paper for the finished artwork
  • Redo the artwork using charcoal on an area of the copper sheet
  • Carefully paint over the charcoal artwork with a tar based paint. (All the areas that you don't want etched away)
  • Tape the whole back to protect it from being etched also.
  • Lay the sheet in a secret mixture of acid and other mad professor stuff for a secret amount of time ;)
    Once you get the knack of this stage you get a nice rustic surface where the etching has worked.
  • Have a Durry!
  • Remove the tar paint to now expose the 3D design, contrasting the clean raised unetched images with the rustic etched areas.
  • Buff certain areas to create highlights
  • Place the plastic pickguard as a template on the copper sheet and scratch the outline.
  • Rough hand cut
  • Grind, file, buff, file, buff, grind etc
  • Test fit on tele
  • Have another Durry!
  • Mix a secret potion of mad professor patina stuff and apply randomly with eye dropper.
  • Place outside in the weather overnight, to allow patina to develop.
  • Have another Durry!
  • Final buff for highlights.
  • Final polish with Turtle wax to protect the finish and stop more patina.
DaDaah! :)

:aok....At the end of the day it's really about your work getting recognised and appreciated by your community ....so thanks for the positive comments guys!

Fuzzr

Thanks for the interest.
The secret is in getting the etching stage right to create a contrast between the rustic etched surface and the desired images.

The process is roughly:
  • doodle up the design idea on paper for the finished artwork
  • Redo the artwork using charcoal on an area of the copper sheet
  • Carefully paint over the charcoal artwork with a tar based paint. (All the areas that you don't want etched away)
  • Tape the whole back to protect it from being etched also.
  • Lay the sheet in a secret mixture of acid and other mad professor stuff for a secret amount of time ;)
    Once you get the knack of this stage you get a nice rustic surface where the etching has worked.
  • Have a Durry!
  • Remove the tar paint to now expose the 3D design, contrasting the clean raised unetched images with the rustic etched areas.
  • Buff certain areas to create highlights
  • Place the plastic pickguard as a template on the copper sheet and scratch the outline.
  • Rough hand cut
  • Test fit on tele
  • Have another Durry!
  • Mix a secret potion of mad professor patina stuff and apply randomly with eye dropper.
  • Place outside in the weather overnight, to allow patina to develop.
  • Have another Durry!
  • Final buff for highlights.
  • Final polish with Turtle wax to protect the finish and stop more patina.
DaDaah! :)
Yep, easy as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12........:rolleyes:

wow... why don't u make the strat version?
fyi, i use the 50's 8 hole 1 ply guard. ^^
Hi. Thanks. I'd like to make Strat versions, ...but I'm a bit gun shy at the moment.
There's a lot of work in each of them and I'm not having much luck with the Tele versions.

Don't get me wrong, I love the creative process, ....but a man cannot live on tone alone!

Trending Topics